Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Craig Brye

Default Dark Green Algae

I have some sort of Algae or bacteria growing on my glass. It seems to be
one big sheet and grows very rapidly. I wipe the glass clean one day and
the next it's already coming back. The algae does not have any hair and
appears dark green. The plants and substrate appear to be totally clear of
this. This is not green spot algae (at least nothing I've seen before).

Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be?

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
WD

"Craig Brye" wrote in message

Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be?

Commonly called "green slime algae", it's not even really an algae at all,
it's a cyanobacteria.
Read about it he http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html

I have had it a couple times, and treated with erythromycin. Went away
within days. Some, as the FAQ suggests, feel that the medicine may damage
the bio-filter bacteria, but my tanks did not experience this. YMMV, always
use care when administering chems and drugs to your tanks.