Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
s g

Default onyx sand?

how deep does onyx sand need to be for a suitable substrate? min, max?

how many sqare inches will a 7kg bag cover?

"slight buffering capacity" as in it does what to water chem?

thanks
Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
WD

"LeighMo" wrote in message
how deep does onyx sand need to be for a suitable substrate? min, max?

Make sure you rinse it well. I had a heck of a time.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Martin

LeighMo - no offence but since you have just indicated that 'He' is an
innapropriate pronoun - you should be more careful with statements like.....

The package recommends 2", but I like it deeper myself -- 3"-4".
Leigh

very big LOL

Martin.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
David Wee

In article ,
Martin wrote:
LeighMo - no offence but since you have just indicated that 'He' is an
innapropriate pronoun - you should be more careful with statements like.....

The package recommends 2", but I like it deeper myself -- 3"-4".
Leigh

very big LOL

that was quite funny when you pointed it out ;-).

But i will be getting myself onyx sand. Seems like the better
flourite from what i hear.

"I like it to be thick, and be laid deeply, at least 4""

Whoever thought gravel could be the source of sexual double entendre?
Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Boris

Is onyx sand easier to wash than flourite? It took me hours to wash flourite
before using it in the aquarium.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
WD

"Boris" wrote in message
ogers.com...
Is onyx sand easier to wash than flourite? It took me hours to wash

flourite
before using it in the aquarium.

The first few bags I didn't rinse thouroghly enough. The fine particles made
the tank totally grey, less than 1 inch visibility. I let it sit for days,
the stuff wouldn't settle. I tried filtering it out. The filters couldn't
filter out anything that fine, and didn't have any type of filters on hand
that could handle such. I ended up doing like a 500% water change all told.
I put the python in on one side with fresh water coming in, and put a hose
siphoning ou tthe other side. Let it go for about 2 hours.
The other 2 bags I bough I dumped in a 5 gallon bucket, put the hose in
and swirled my hand around until the water was well, not as bad. About 15
minutes. *Some* fines, so I'm told, make for a better substrate.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Martin

Funny thing David,

I went for Flourite instead of Onyx sand because there were far more
carbonates in Onyx than Flourite.....GH/KH therefore increases and my
hardness values were hight enough.
Theres a complete trace element chemistry comparison of these.......now
where was it!!!!

Thinking....See these (after a quick internet search) - there was a better
one which compared loads of substrates.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertil...lourite.html#0
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertil...ate-jamie.html

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Jim Miller

floss filtered onyx just fine in my experience. gravity took care of the
rest.

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"WD" wrote in message

ogers.com...

Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Onyx sand WD Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Onyx Sand Pat Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
onyx sand? s g Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 29-03-2003 12:20 AM
Onyx sand WD Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 14-03-2003 05:32 PM