Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
JJOPP

Default Compact Fluorescent vs. Fluorescent

Hi,

I've heard that CF lights retains at least 80% of it's original light quality
through the life of the bulb. My question is how much more energy efficient is
CF compared to standard Fluorescent tubes? if any. Also, how much longer life
does CF have versus stand fluorescent? if longer.

Thanks,

JJ
Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Rich Conley

Everything Ive heard is that CFs are mutch better than T12 fluorescent tubes, but
about the same as T8s

Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Frank Mamone

What's the difference between a T8 and a T12? I thought it was just the
physical size. Is there a light quality difference?

Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Rich Conley

t8s are a newer design...part of it is the fact that they are smaller, but I
think they are designed better than the original t12s...there is a reason
that most offices are going towards t8s...more efficient, less energy
used...and they tend to degrade less over time...

someone else may be able to be more specific about it.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
JJOPP

Do the T8's work o.k. in standard aquarium hood and/or "shoplight" fixtures?

JJ

Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Rich Conley

yeppers

Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Ron Nelson

Actually I picked up some Home-Vue shoplight fixtures from Lowes if I recall
correctly that do not work with my flora-sun T-8 bulbs. So I would recommend
doing a little research on the shoplight fixtures first. I ended up buying a
JBJ Power Compact 4x65 and haven't looked into it any farther myself...

Ron

Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Trygve Lillefosse

t8s are a newer design...part of it is the fact that they are smaller, but I
think they are designed better than the original t12s...there is a reason
that most offices are going towards t8s...more efficient, less energy
used...and they tend to degrade less over time...

There is even a new design on the market, count on it to be the next
standard. T5, they are thinner than T8 (as the number refers to their
physical size) and also gives more light.

As to now it's mostly used where realy good light is needed as in
workplaces. (drawing boards etc.) After what I'we heard they should be
able to compee with mercury-bulbs for reef-tank use.

SEE YA !!!

Malawi, The Fisher King - Ruler Of The World
Conquering the world for YOU since 1972.
Remove nospam to mail me.
Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Rich Conley

It may be that T12 and T8s are interchangeable only if you use an electronic
ballast..and not a tar, or magnetic ballast...

I'm not totally sure though.

Rich

Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
ocelotl

Flourescen Information:

t8s are a newer design...part of it is the fact that they are smaller, but I
think they are designed better than the original t12s...there is a reason
that most offices are going towards t8s...more efficient, less energy
used...and they tend to degrade less over time...

T8 lamps have a smaller diameter (1") and more efficient when compared
to T12 lamps (1.5"). In fact, T8 bulbs are the standard in the
Architecture/Engineering (A/E) industry when coupled with efficient
electronic ballasts.

There is even a new design on the market, count on it to be the next
standard. T5, they are thinner than T8 (as the number refers to their
physical size) and also gives more light.

T5 are half the size in diameter than a T8 lamp. T5 do in fact give
out so much light, that they are typically used in indirect
applications. The great part about these lights is that they require
less energy. They also run at a higher frequency that T8 Lamps.
Something that is around the corner is a T2 lamp for commercial use.

As to now it's mostly used where realy good light is needed as in
workplaces. (drawing boards etc.) After what I'we heard they should be
able to compee with mercury-bulbs for reef-tank use.

I recently attended the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES)
Conference a few weeks ago in Michigan and saw a few interesting
products. First of all, ballasts able to drive 150W HID lights were
reduced greatly (to the size of a 12 oz can). Another interesting
item was LED for commercial/industrial use. They require low voltage
(when compared to fluorescent lamps) and last a ridiculous amount of
time (50,000 hours ~ 100,000). I know of at least 2 companies
developing a standard 2'x4' light fixture outfitted with LEDs. They
may or may not be as powerful as T8 lamps yet, but they are something
to consider.

Here is a good site that will explain more about lighting basics than
I can : http://tristate.apogee.net/lite/

If you have any more questions about the items I covered, feel free to
email me and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

~Don Ocelotl

Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Ron Nelson

I had the same thought. I've been thinking about buying an electronic
ballast and swapping it for the original to see what happens. If I do I'll
post the results here...

Ron

Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
JR

Here are my thoughts on various fluorescent bulbs. The size of the
lamp (bulb) is important but not as important as the electronics and
the phosphors used to coat the inside of the glass.

"T" (as in T8) stand for "Tubular" and the number stand for "eights of
an inch in diameter". Therefore a T-8 is tublular and one inch in
diameter. T12 is 1.5 inches and T5 is 5/8". T8 and T5 operate at a
higher frequency, which results in less flicker and high light output
per watt of energy input (efficiency). It also means you have to use
a ballast designed to operate that type of lamp. So you can use T8
bulbs in a cheap shop light (i.e. fixture)ONLY if it came with a
ballast that drives T8s or you change the ballast. The lamp may light
on a mismatched ballast, but it not operate correctly (per specs) and
may shorten its life. (HO and VHO are high output and very high
output T12 lamps that have been around for years, but are not as
efficient (in terms of lumens per watt) as regular T12 or T8/T5.)

Compact Fluorescents (CF) are usually U-shaped or may be another shape
(e.g.spiral), and are more efficient than tubular lamps. There is
another bonus: because they are smaller, it is easier for
fixture/reflector designers to get the light out of the fixture into
the aquarium. As a result, you will get more light into the tank with
the same wattage of CF than you will with T8s or other tubular lamps.
Again, the ballast and lamps must match to get proper operation. Of
course CFs are more expensive to purchase too.

The color temperature and color rendering, among other light quality
factors is largely affected by the phosphors coating the inside of the
lamp. Generally (oversimplified!) the new lamps like T8, T5 and CF
have high quality phosphors -- usually tri-phosphors -- that provide
the highest efficiency and best lighting quality (a broad term for
sure, but generally I mean color rendition and control). Some T12 have
similar phosphors, but not the standard 40 watt lamps you get in a
shoplight.

In summary, if money is no barrier, CFs with electronic ballasts, good
quality, well designed reflectors, and triphosphor lamps in a color
temperature (e.g. 6700K, 5000K) that suits you preference for warm vs.
cool overall color will give the best results and most light per watt
(among the flourescent options - MH have other attributes that
complicate the topic). There is one caveat: various lamp
manufacturers tweak the phosphors to provide many varitions on the
light spectrum emitted. Your choice among these are largely based on
your personal preferences for how you plants and fish look...currectly
there is more variety in lamp choices in T8 than in CF. So T8 is a
good option too, although slightly less efficient than CFs. Since CFs
are inherently more efficient, I suspect that will change as more
people start making specialty CFs.

I hope this helps. BTW, I don't sell any of this stuff and I am not
affiliated with any manufacturer/vendor.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
JJOPP

I'm finding that you can put a t-8 into a t-12 only fixture, but it will only
partially light it. Not sure how safe it is either. So it's not really an
option. When I did this tho' I it was a double bulb fixture and the other bulb
was a t-12, but I don't that would make any difference.

JJ
Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
JJOPP

I rechecked and I should say that I actually tested with a t-10 not a t-8, so
my earlier post should have stated t-10 instead. I am not sure as of yet, what
a t-8 would do in a t-12 ballast.

JJ