Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
350X_Rider

Default yellow labs = algae grazers = swords becoming lunch

I've got 2 Yellow Labs in a 29g, recenly planted 2 amazon swords....

I'm watching and waiting for the leaves to drop, and the new ones to come
in... they are....

problem is, yesterday, I saw, I witnessed a yellow lab, tearing up one of
the leaves that had some algae on the edges of the leaf... he just bit it,
backed up and flinched and a piece of leaf came off in his mouth, he spit it
out, and went on to another piece of leaf.... what a buttmunch!!!

Does anyone else have a problem with yellow labs eating amazons? or any
plants in general???? or just ones that have algae on the tips????

THanks...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Frank Mamone

It's a well known fact that plants and cichlids don't go well together. They
either uproot them or eat/destroy them.

If you want to keep plants with cichlids you should well with Java moss or
Java fern. I heard that it has a bitter taste which they don't like.

Regards,

Frank

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Rich Conley

totally disagree with you on 2 points there....my labs only seem to eat the
leaves that are dying anyway....so if theyre just planted swords..they may be
emersed growth dying off....and mine eat java moss like its candy....I agree
with you on the java fern though...I think it tastes bad.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Frank Mamone

Hi Rich,

Thanks for clearing this up. Nothing speaks better than experience. I have a
Rift Lake tank but don't have plants in it.

One planted tank is enough!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
350X_Rider

This was the first time I had noticed it, and it's a 1.5 YO tank, had plants
in there from the beginning... and since this just happened, my thinking is
the lab caught sight of hte algae on the end and had a snack... never had a
problem until then...

.. .

"350X_Rider" wrote in message
I've got 2 Yellow Labs in a 29g, recenly planted 2 amazon swords....

I'm watching and waiting for the leaves to drop, and the new ones to

come
in... they are....

problem is, yesterday, I saw, I witnessed a yellow lab, tearing up one

of
the leaves that had some algae on the edges of the leaf... he just bit

it,
backed up and flinched and a piece of leaf came off in his mouth, he

spit
it
out, and went on to another piece of leaf.... what a buttmunch!!!

Does anyone else have a problem with yellow labs eating amazons? or any
plants in general???? or just ones that have algae on the tips????

THanks...

Polar Bears, algae and lunch kathy[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 1 08-04-2008 08:18 PM
Yellow tips on Amazon swords? ah Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 15-02-2006 02:39 AM
Sprout grazers tenchman United Kingdom 3 01-11-2005 09:16 AM
Algae Algae Algae -=Almazick=- Freshwater Aquaria Plants 16 23-08-2003 09:32 AM
yellow labs = algae grazers = swords becoming lunch 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 09-04-2003 05:56 PM