Old 21-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Djay

Default Fry in Hospital tank!

Last week I bough 2 male and 2 female cherry barbs and put them in a
"hospital" tank for a while to ensure they were disease free. They joined
my 70 gal community tank yesterday. They were in quarantine exactly one
week and were not exhibiting any signs of disease or stress. All's well
etc. Well I went to clean out the power filter media of this 10 gal
hospital tank and saw a tiny (I mean about 1/32") fry in the bucket of
filter water. It really was a miracle that I saw it at all, except it
darted along erratically and caught my eye. So, I carefully looked inside
the hosp tank and it turns out that there are about 20 darting fry!

I immediately removed the power filter, took its filter floss, and wrapped
it around and rubber banded it around an air stone. It should act as a sort
of sponge filter. Next, I ground up some flake food into very fine powder.
I've "fed" them twice today by tapping my finger into the dust and then
shaking off what stays on my finger into the water. The little fry disperse
and chase after stuff, but honestly, I can't tell if this "feeding" method
is going to work. They are just too small. I'd like to try and raise them,
but I have a few questions.

1) What kind of food should I be feeding them?
2) Is that HUGE 10 gal tank too large?
3) I plan to do 10~15% water changes every few days. Will this be all
right?
4) Should I get a better filter?
5) For all I know there are many more unhached eggs.. Will varying fry sizes
be a problem?
6) How long until these fish reach maturity?

Thanks!

Djay remove "nospam" to email me directly!

Old 21-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Jim Brown

Djay wrote in message
[...]

1-What you are feeding is fine. You can do things like new hatched baby
brine, but since this sounds like one of your first successes in having a
fish spawn, keep it simple.
2-Not at all, but reduce the water level as the fry will find it a bit hard
to locate food in the larger volume. Might not be a problem, but something
to consider.
3-That level of water changes might be a bit high for the fry. Their body
mass isn't that great, as long as the food is getting eaten, not too much
water deterioration should take place.
4-Everyone has their personal favourites for filtration. With tiny fry in a
breeder set up, my choice is a small seasoned sponge filter, air driven,
with minimal flow rate.
5-Not with cherry barbs, perhaps one of the gentlest fish available to the
hobbyists.
6-Full size, maybe a year or more. Sexual maturity, about 6-8 months.

Jim

Old 22-04-2003, 02:33 AM
Kelly Upton

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! You're a fishy-mom!!!!!!!!!

Old 23-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Djay

Well the 20 or so fry seem to be doing fine. I'm feeding them egg yolk soup
(sparingly) once a day and ground flake food powder twice a day..

Fishy-mom? I don't know about that.... at least they only depend on me
for clean water and food! Can you just imagine having to diaper all those
fry?

"Kelly Upton" wrote in message
.net...
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! You're a fishy-mom!!!!!!!!!

Old 23-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Duncan A. McRae

4-Everyone has their personal favourites for filtration. With tiny fry in
breeder set up, my choice is a small seasoned sponge filter, air driven,
with minimal flow rate.

I'm hoping to start breeding soon. Where can I read/see more on the setup
you're suggesting?

Thanks;
Duncan

Old 23-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Jim Brown

Duncan A. McRae wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
4-Everyone has their personal favourites for filtration. With tiny fry

in
breeder set up, my choice is a small seasoned sponge filter, air driven,
with minimal flow rate.

I'm hoping to start breeding soon. Where can I read/see more on the setup
you're suggesting?

Thanks;
Duncan

I can't direct you to a web site, although I am sure others here can put you
on the track.
In essence, I use the Jungle sponge filters in fry tanks as they come in
smaller sizes than other brands. The unused filters are stored in whichever
tank is deemed to be the cleanest/healthiest, so that a load of good guy
bacteria can colonize it. These filters are only added once the fry are
freeswimming for egglayers, day one with livebearers. Egglayer set ups
usually have at most a small airstone for circulation until spawning has
happened and the breeders are removed.
My favourite book to recommend to hobbyists just getting underway is Tetra's
The Golden Encyclopedia of Freshwater Tropical Fishes by Dick Mills and Dr.
Gwynne Vevers. ISBN 0-307-46633-7. It's from 1982 and may take a couple
tries to find it, but for the price and the amount of information for new
hobbyists per dollar spent, it's a bargain. Yes, there is a Tetra slant to
the equipment and there are upside down photos, but it may be very handy to
have around. More current info is available in the Baensch Atlas series,
but they can be cost prohibitive.

Jim

Old 23-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Paul Irwin

I make my own sponge filters.

Materials needed: a 5 in X 5 IN piece of 4 in thick foam of the type used
for upholstery or crafts
A 6 in X 6 in quarry tile or piece of 1/4" glass
an 8 in to 12 in piece of plastic pipe, I often
use 3/4" PVC

I make a hole in the middle of the block of foam. I then glue the foam to
the tile or glass using silicone sealer. I put the pipe in the hole and let
it set for a day or two. Put the filter in a tank, drop an airstone down the
pipe and it's finished. You can vary and of the above dimensions by an inch
or two and it should still work just fine.

This method works for air-driven filters, but does not work well with power
filters because of the small pore size of the foam. I have purchased several
different brands of foam filters and I like my home made ones better, mainly
because they sit on the bottom of the tank and don't float around. If I am
going out of town for a few days and I have small fry I sometimes add a
second or third filter to the tank. There are a lot of little critters that
live in an established sponge filter and they provide some snacks for the
little ones.

Old 23-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Donald Kerns

Paul Irwin wrote:

I make my own sponge filters.

http://www.petfish.net/sponge_filter.htm

--
"When you've lost your ability to laugh, you've lost your ability to think
straight." -To Inherit the Wind

lately, it rounds a bicycle too disastrous to her loose hospital Haron al Assad Ponds 0 14-11-2007 06:02 AM
he can grasp the disappointed hospital and try it by its temple I. D. Rizk, C.S.C. Ponds 0 14-11-2007 06:00 AM
Vicious attack by hunt staff and supporters leaves two hunt saboteursin hospital . Another HSA video camera bites the dust... Old Codger United Kingdom 0 02-02-2007 09:35 PM
hospital tank and mosquitoes JGW Ponds 3 21-08-2005 08:44 PM
Karen Mountford in hospital Susan Young United Kingdom 4 30-11-2002 09:31 AM