Old 22-04-2003, 05:20 AM
JEB

Default Intro post of appreciation

Greetings aqua gardeners,

Before posting a lot of questions, I thought I'd make a little
semi-formal hello and introduce myself. I used to keep aquaria in
another life (many years back) and I think I must have enjoyed it, as
hardly any piece of furniture in the house with a flat surface lacked an
aquarium. All freshwater, from 10 to 100 gal. One 29 gal. was my
attempt at a planted tank. There was no internet then, and I wasn't
aware of any clubs I could join, but I did manage success raising
several varieties of algae. Other than that, only the Java moss really
grew. I actually got some store stock periodically for that in trades
with the LFS. Well, that was another life in another state.

Lately I'd been thinking it would be nice to have a water box around
again, and one of my work buddies said he had a 30 long I could have. I
could feel the old excitement, so I've been cruising usenet and www
doing homework to learn how to do a planted tank. Reading this NG and
some rather prominent web sites over the last couple of months has me
thinking I might be getting close to giving it a go.

So thanks to all of you, you didn't even know you were being so helpful,
except for maybe Tom Barr, who answered my only posted question, about
isoetes. Also, a thanks to Leigh for her tank blog. I was just about
to give up on finding a decent LFS when I checked her site, and there's
a list of 'em, all within driving distance.

So now that I've been nice as I know how to be, I hope all of you feel
really obliged to answer all my questions, because, as they say, I got a
sack full of them ;^).

James

Old 22-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Bob A

"JEB" wrote in message
[...]

Good luck James, I too had tanks in the past, but unplanted (and refused to
use plastic). The plants can be a real challenge, but I think they are
worth it. I'm about the farthest from an expert, but I think I can give the
advice not to be too discouraged or give up easily if things don't go
perfectly from the start.

You're right, there are some very helpful and generous folks here.

bob

Old 22-04-2003, 12:44 PM
LeighMo

Also, a thanks to Leigh for her tank blog. I was just about
to give up on finding a decent LFS when I checked her site, and there's
a list of 'em, all within driving distance.

Glad you found it useful. There aren't any really great LFSs around here, but
some are better than others. And you can always special order!

Leigh

Old 22-04-2003, 04:20 PM
elwood

Glad you found it useful. There aren't any really great LFSs around here, but
some are better than others. And you can always special order!

Leigh

I've been to all on your list at this point, I like Animabilia on the
east side of the Hudson and Tropical World on the west (I saw cherry
shrimp and I think, a bristlenose pleco in there!). Nothing like what
was available when I was in the hobby previously (elsewhere), but with
online availability it's not so critical. One place here quoted me
$16/bag on Flourite, which isn't bad for an LFS.

James
Old 22-04-2003, 07:08 PM
elwood

Thanks for the encouragement, Bob. Part of the interest in a planted
tank, for me, is meeting the challenges. As long as I can get some
reasonable success, the problem-solving is rewarding. It's when I
have no hair left to pull out that things aren't as fun.

James

*Al* Appreciation Thread! Diana Kulaga[_5_] Orchids 34 29-03-2008 09:01 PM
Appreciation Sue Solomon Roses 2 05-07-2004 10:02 PM
Hey, Corporate America! Show Taxpayers Some Appreciation! [email protected] Australia 0 16-04-2004 01:04 AM
Post Your Three Favorite Movies - I Post Facts About You The Magnficent Bastard Gardening 275 10-03-2004 02:47 AM
New poster (intro) Derek Turner United Kingdom 1 23-10-2002 09:36 PM