Old 02-04-2008, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Wow, what happened to this group?

I just signed back up for the APD, too, and it's pretty slow. Where are
all the plant nuts hanging out now? Is there a particular forum where
all the old hands are chatting? I'm about to set up my 55 gallon after
over 5 years without an aquarium and I want to brush up on my aquatic
plant knowledge and catch up on technology. I know that this topic
hasn't died, as the aquatic plant selection at my LFS and at the big
national pet stores has never been bigger...
Old 07-04-2008, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Dave Engle" wrote in message
. net...
I just signed back up for the APD, too, and it's pretty slow. Where are
all the plant nuts hanging out now? Is there a particular forum where all
the old hands are chatting? I'm about to set up my 55 gallon after over 5
years without an aquarium and I want to brush up on my aquatic plant
knowledge and catch up on technology. I know that this topic hasn't died,
as the aquatic plant selection at my LFS and at the big national pet stores
has never been bigger...

=======================
Everyone just kind of faded away.......
--
RM....
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

Old 08-04-2008, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Most people have moved on to web based forums.

UseNet was one of the original ways for hobbyists to share information.
It was great back when few people knew how to connect and those who did
were highly educated. As griefers and spammers connected, UseNet really
couldn't keep up.

It's ironic that griefers who receive pleasure at destroying this group
rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants are really helping out because they force
people to move on to better places that will make them much happier.

Aquatic Plant Central http://aquaticplantcentral.com might be the best
site. Another great place is http://plantedtank.net

Old 17-04-2008, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

g_k_o wrote:

Aquatic Plant Central http://aquaticplantcentral.com might be the best
site. Another great place is http://plantedtank.net

Thanks, I'll check 'em out!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

On Apr 16, 6:16*pm, Dave Engle wrote:
g_k_o wrote:

Aquatic Plant Centralhttp://aquaticplantcentral.commight be the best
site. *Another great place ishttp://plantedtank.net

Thanks, I'll check 'em out!

Dave! Where the hell have you been?! Aquatic Plant central is the
place to be. Much better than plantedtank.net
You are a blast from the past. Newsgroups went completly down the
toilet. I don't even know why they are st ill in existence. APD has
become pretty much a relic. There is a dozen or so people who talk
amoungest themsleves. Nothing informative what so ever. Not even any
good spam wars any more. Aquatic Plant central was started by Art
Giacosa a couple years after I started Wet Thumb. You remember Art?
The first American Amano distrbutor in the mid 90s. I eventually
closed my forum and archived all the posts at APC under an arrangement
I made with Art.. Art eventually sold APC to some corporation, which
quietly runs it. It has a very large amount of traffic and membership
now. Plant tank.net was started about the same time as APC by someone
named Kyle who nobody had ever heard of. It has a sizeable following
as well. Many people go back and forth between the two.

Robert Paul Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com

Old 07-05-2008, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

g_k_o wrote:

[...]

Oh here is some more news for you, Dave. AGA finally got a forum, but
nobody uses it. Tom Barr emerged as the dominate authoritive figure in
the online community. He finally started his own WEB site, but charges
a membership fee to participate in it! He partnered up with Greg
Watson. The old old timers rarely if ever post anywhere on the
internet any more, Karen Randall, George Booth, Erik Olson and all
that crowd are still involved in AGA, but little else. Scott Hieber
took over Karen Randalls column in AFI, (formerly AFM). About the only
old timer that I recognize is Paul Krombolholtz who posts on APC.
Several local AGA clubs sprung up. There is over a dozen now. The
national AGA convention is still going pretty strong. They have had
Amano as a speaker twice, and Kasselmann once. The "technolgy" you
missed out on most likely centers around Tom Barr. He comes up with
some new earthshaking methodology about every six to 12 months. Do a
search for "estimated index"
Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Well, sir, I've been quite busy changing careers and moving halfway
across the country and now simply working long hours. I'm hoping to be
able to find the time to give you some business in the near future!

I guess now that I'm back near a big city, I need to consider hooking up
with a club, too.

Hey, I got an email from PetSwearhouse.com the other day asking me why I
hadn't been to their site in so long... I replied to it, but it was
automated and my email simply bounced right back. Heck, I thought that
jerk had banned me from his forums.

Anyway, I'm going to have to check out these web forums and just give up
on the efficient simplicity of USENET and the APD mailing list, I
guess... I'll be checking out Aquatic Plant Central, for sure.

You'll be hearing from me again in the next few weeks, Robert. I hope
to have my tank set up in the next month or so. I just need to figure
out what valves and such to get to go with a brand new CO2 canister that
I've got.

Good to hear from you!

-Dave
(now in Dallas)
Old 12-06-2008, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

I'd agree APD and APC are still the best places to garner information.

While APC is flashier and less dry APD still is the place for more reliable
information. Stuff that may be considered heresy ("warm white work better than
anything else") on APC is considered fact on APD which has many thousands
of man-hours experience more than APC.

APC has better pictures :-) Especially Michal Lo's Crypt explorations.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 12-06-2008, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article ,
wrote:
Oh here is some more news for you, Dave. AGA finally got a forum, but
nobody uses it. Tom Barr emerged as the dominate authoritive figure in
the online community. He finally started his own WEB site, but charges
a membership fee to participate in it! He partnered up with Greg

There's a free section. But I do miss Tom's input in other fora.

Watson. The old old timers rarely if ever post anywhere on the
internet any more, Karen Randall, George Booth, Erik Olson and all

I thought George died in a horrific undergravel heating cable
accident. Or am I jsut showing my age?

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

What happened to this group? R. & J. Willingham Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-08-2008 03:57 PM
Wow. Just WOW. Lilly Ponds 17 24-07-2005 06:17 PM
wow.. clear water finally! linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 08-05-2003 02:20 AM
Wow - Blue Pleco? DWS Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-05-2003 04:21 AM
Wow will Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM