Old 24-04-2003, 12:32 PM
LeighMo

Default Lightly planted tank

You can have a lightly planted tank, if you choose the plants carefully. Pick
low-light plants like java fern, java moss, and Anubias.

If you want to keep more demanding plants, you have to install more lighting.
And if you do that, you can't plant lightly. The extra light will cause algae
problems, unless you plant the tank well.

I wish to keep the following fishes.

1. a pair of discus
2. some cardinal tetras
3. some rummy nose tetras
4. a pair of angels
5. a clown loach
6. some badis badis
7. some corydoras
8. a sailfin pleco

I would leave the angels out. Small tetras are their natural prey in the wild,
and they will eventually grow large enough to eat the cardinal tetras. In
addition, they may be too aggressive to keep with discus.

Clown loaches should not be kept alone. They are at their best kept in a small
group -- five or six. They also get quite large (12"). You might consider
getting a group of smaller loaches, such as yoyos, instead.

1. What kinda plants are neccessary for this kinda specification?

No plants are necessary, but lots of cover is a good thing. Just make sure
there's still plenty of space for the discus to swim.

2. What kinda light is needed?

Depends on what kind of planted tank you want. See this page for an idea of
the kind of decisions you'll have to make:

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/.../881/setup.htm

Frankly, I would stick with a low-light tank for now, if you are a beginner.
It can be a challenge to keep discus in a high-tech planted tank.

3. Is it alright if I place feeder shrimps (those type that they used
to feed
arowanas and cichlids) in the tank, my experiences with them aren't
that
good (they die easily and pollutes the tank but they are excellent
bottom
feeders) in the tank?

Some of those feeders are brackish water shrimp, and so will never live long in
a freshwater tank. But if you buy freshwater ghost shrimp, and put a drop of
iodine (the kind sold for marine tanks) in the water, they will live a long
time. They will even breed in the tank. (If they don't get eaten by the
fish.)

You probably don't want ghost shrimp in the tank if you hope for fry, though.
They can be quite predatory with small fish.

Leigh

Old 24-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Vallo Kallaste

E. Mito wrote:

but would like
to have enough greens in the tank

What exactly do you have in mind when you say you want "enough greens"?

He means probably plants. Can't imagine any other association between
CO2 and "greens" :-)
--
Vallo Kallaste
Old 24-04-2003, 06:08 PM
E. Mito

He means probably plants. Can't imagine any other association between
CO2 and "greens" :-)

I figured that. What is not clear to me is how densely he wishes to plant his
tank. I think people's ideas of heavily and lightly planted are very
subjective.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 24-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Wilma Duncan

Vincent, I created a planted tank for a person who was using a large tank
with just discus. I did it in nothing but different species of Anubias and
it was stunning as I used tall anubias and short anubias. As for bottom
feeders your Corys and loach should keep it well cleaned. If you need more
info email me privately.
Wilma
http://www.jayscustomcomputers.com/wilma/
"Vincent" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I have a 4 x 1.5 x 1.5 (feet) tank. I wish to convert the tank into a
community tank. I do not wish to have a CO2 injection but would like
to have enough greens in the tank and some small fishes.

I wish to keep the following fishes.

1. a pair of discus
2. some cardinal tetras
3. some rummy nose tetras
4. a pair of angels
5. a clown loach
6. some badis badis
7. some corydoras
8. a sailfin pleco

Here are some questions.

1. What kinda plants are neccessary for this kinda specification?
2. What kinda light is needed?
3. Is it alright if I place feeder shrimps (those type that they used
to feed
arowanas and cichlids) in the tank, my experiences with them aren't
that
good (they die easily and pollutes the tank but they are excellent
bottom
feeders) in the tank?

thanks
Vincent

Old 25-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Vincent

Hi,

Sorry for the vague description, the tank set up I am looking for is
something in the manner of the attached URL (
http://www.aquariumtips.org/gallery.html ).

After doing some reading, I think the plants that I need are anubias
and ferns. But is there any website that can show me the different
types of anubias. After readinf some sites, I realised that I do have
dwarf anubias in my tank and they are so so hardy, they withstand the
constant nibbling of my parrotfish.

Anyway, Now what is need is some professional advise on how to go
about setting the tank up, the type of lights i need and what specific
type of plants should i refrain from, what kinda kit should i purchase
and what other types of additives or substrates i should use.

With this, guess you all have known that I am really really a
"greenhorn" at this kinda hobby.

Thanks
VIncent

Old 25-04-2003, 03:20 AM
LeighMo

Sorry for the vague description, the tank set up I am looking for is
something in the manner of the attached URL (
http://www.aquariumtips.org/gallery.html ).

Those tanks have high-powered lights and DIY CO2. I really don't recommend
that kind of setup for discus. A least if you're a beginner. DIY CO2 can't
provide enough CO2 for a tank the size of yours (a 75 gallon, it sounds like).
It won't be able to keep the pH stable, which will make a delicate fish like a
discus unhappy.

After doing some reading, I think the plants that I need are anubias
and ferns. But is there any website that can show me the different
types of anubias.

Anubias would be a good choice. You don't need special lighting or CO2
injection to keep them.

See this site for pictures of many different varieties of anubias:

http://www.rehobothaquatics.com/

Anyway, Now what is need is some professional advise on how to go
about setting the tank up, the type of lights i need and what specific
type of plants should i refrain from, what kinda kit should i purchase
and what other types of additives or substrates i should use.

If you're only keeping low-light plants, you don't need any special lights or
substrate.

With this, guess you all have known that I am really really a
"greenhorn" at this kinda hobby.

If you're new to this, hold off on getting the discus. Wait until the tank has
been set up and stable for awhile, and you know how to maintain it. Discus are
very expensive fish, and not very tolerant of beginner mistakes.

Leigh

Old 25-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Vincent

Hi,

Thanks for the advise.

Now that means that if i make my tank full of anubias, I would not
need a CO2 injection as well as any other lights and oso any
substrates.

ANother question, are ferns as tolerant as anubias?

Vincent
Old 25-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Robert Flory

"Vincent" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Thanks for the advise.

Now that means that if i make my tank full of anubias, I would not
need a CO2 injection as well as any other lights and oso any
substrates.

ANother question, are ferns as tolerant as anubias?

Vincent

I have java ferns growing in tanks with 1/2 to 3/4 watt per gallon.

Bob

Old 25-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Jack

What would you consider as "low lighting" over a 75 gal tank?
Specifically, bulbs, wattage, and spectrum or kelvin rating. A
wattage range would also be appreciated.
Old 25-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Dave Millman

Jack wrote:

What would you consider as "low lighting" over a 75 gal tank?
Specifically, bulbs, wattage, and spectrum or kelvin rating. A
wattage range would also be appreciated.

Low would be around 1 watt flourescent per gallon. High is 3 watts per
gallon and above. Compact flourescent is a bit brighter per watt, and
good reflectors in well designed hoods increase the useful light per
watt. These are GROSS approximations, not gospel.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:56 PM
LeighMo

Now that means that if i make my tank full of anubias, I would not
need a CO2 injection as well as any other lights and oso any
substrates.

Yes. And I think it's the way to go, if you want to keep a discus in the tank.

ANother question, are ferns as tolerant as anubias?

Just about. I've found java fern is a little harder to grow than anubias, but
not much.

Bolbitis (African fern) is a litlte harder to grow than java fern, but still an
easy plant that doesn't need a lot of light.

Leigh

Old 26-04-2003, 01:56 PM
LeighMo

What would you consider as "low lighting" over a 75 gal tank?

Low lighting is the standard lighting that comes with the tank.

Leigh

Old 28-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Vincent

Hi,

I have a submerged tube in my current tank now, 2 questions.

1. Is a submerged tube good for plants?
2. How do I test the current lighting range for my current tube?

thanks
VIncent

Old 28-04-2003, 04:56 AM
LeighMo

I have a submerged tube in my current tank now, 2 questions.

You mean you've got a light under the water? Where is it?

2. How do I test the current lighting range for my current tube?

It's wattage that counts. If you tell us the size of the tube, we can probably
figure out the wattage.

Leigh