Old 25-04-2003, 12:56 AM
redled

Default Snail Control

OK, I can't pick out the pond snails by hand anymore. Here is the
situation: heavily planted 55 gallon community tank. The smallest things
in it are amano shrimp and pygmy cories (1"). I need something to control
the snails, prefereably something that won't eat those guys I just
mentioned. Also, I have a large ramshorn snail I'd like to keep and
hundreds of MTS that I would really like to keep (I think the population is
healthy enough that It would be hard to get rid of them, though.) Now,
here are the best ideas that I've come up with:
1) Lots of ghost shrimp. Will these eat snail eggs?
2) Some kind of small loach. I'm having a hard time finding specific
references to non-clown loaches abilities to do this. How are kuhlie
loaches?
3) Dwarf puffers. Actaully I had them, but I like to take every
oppurtunity I can to say these are NOT community fishies, unless you really
know what you're doing. There's not many good tankmates for these guys.
4) Any other ideas? I'm open to anything.
Anyways, thanks in advance
Old 25-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Robert Flory

Mid posted
"redled" wrote in message
. ..
OK, I can't pick out the pond snails by hand anymore. Here is the
situation: heavily planted 55 gallon community tank. The smallest things
in it are amano shrimp and pygmy cories (1"). I need something to control
the snails, prefereably something that won't eat those guys I just
mentioned. Also, I have a large ramshorn snail I'd like to keep and
hundreds of MTS that I would really like to keep (I think the population

is
healthy enough that It would be hard to get rid of them, though.) Now,
here are the best ideas that I've come up with:
1) Lots of ghost shrimp. Will these eat snail eggs?
2) Some kind of small loach. I'm having a hard time finding specific
references to non-clown loaches abilities to do this. How are kuhlie
loaches?

Yoyos and Botia Histrionica do a good job. Neither of them are trouble
makes in my tanks. My yoyos are up to 3.5" since I got them. Shouldn't
get over 5".

3) Dwarf puffers. Actaully I had them, but I like to take every
oppurtunity I can to say these are NOT community fishies, unless you

really
know what you're doing. There's not many good tankmates for these guys.

4) Any other ideas? I'm open to anything.

I used to have a small and very agressive swordtail that was death on pnd
snails. I also just read a note from someone somewhere about a 4" pleco
that ate snails.

Bob

Old 25-04-2003, 04:08 AM
LeighMo

Also, I have a large ramshorn snail I'd like to keep and
hundreds of MTS that I would really like to keep (I think the population is
healthy enough that It would be hard to get rid of them, though.)

Not a Columbian ramshorn, is it? The ones that get to be 1" or bigger? They
are terrible plant-eaters.

1) Lots of ghost shrimp. Will these eat snail eggs?

They will eat snails. But not enough to control the population. They can also
be quite predatory with small fish.

2) Some kind of small loach. I'm having a hard time finding specific
references to non-clown loaches abilities to do this. How are kuhlie
loaches?

Kuhli loaches will eat snails. Loaches in general do a great job on snails.
Unfortuantely, they won't just eat the pond snails. They can even kill snails
much larger than themselves.

4) Any other ideas? I'm open to anything.

You could try trapping them. Bait them with a slice of zucchini or lettuce
leaf in a jar.

Or you could just live with the pond snails. If you don't mind ramshorms and
MTS, why not pond snails, too? IME, they don't do any harm, and are terrific
algae eaters.

Leigh

Old 25-04-2003, 06:56 AM
mindmeld

My yo-yo loaches ate all the snails (_physa_) but two that are managing to stay
above the water line. the loaches also ate the eggs.

also, this site has some nice information and options:
http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/snail.html#_edn1

AcH

Old 25-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Tony K

I have had great success with Pakistani Loaches (Yo-Yo), I have a few bigger
snails which they don't seem to touch.

I did have one problem with them: I had so many snails that they were
killing them without eating the entire snail, this in turn caused a "slight
emergency" with polluted water. I only realised this when I noticed dozens
of half eaten snails floating on the surface.
It should be noted that I had a "snail plague", the gravel in the tank
appeared to move there were so many!!!!

I now drop in a few shrimp pallets every now and then to make up for the
lack of snails.

. ..

Old 25-04-2003, 07:56 AM
redled

tose (LeighMo) wrote in
:

Also, I have a large ramshorn snail I'd like to keep and
hundreds of MTS that I would really like to keep (I think the
population is healthy enough that It would be hard to get rid of them,
though.)

Not a Columbian ramshorn, is it? The ones that get to be 1" or
bigger? They are terrible plant-eaters.

I have no idea. Mine is almost 3" in diameter but appears to have
stopped growing. I've never seen it eat plants. How long do these
things live? Mine is starting to slow down and close his trap door lots.

1) Lots of ghost shrimp. Will these eat snail eggs?

They will eat snails. But not enough to control the population. They
can also be quite predatory with small fish.

2) Some kind of small loach. I'm having a hard time finding specific
references to non-clown loaches abilities to do this. How are kuhlie
loaches?

Kuhli loaches will eat snails. Loaches in general do a great job on
snails. Unfortuantely, they won't just eat the pond snails. They can
even kill snails much larger than themselves.

4) Any other ideas? I'm open to anything.

You could try trapping them. Bait them with a slice of zucchini or
lettuce leaf in a jar.

Or you could just live with the pond snails. If you don't mind
ramshorms and MTS, why not pond snails, too? IME, they don't do any
harm, and are terrific algae eaters.

Hmm, interesting. They are eating my plants quite a bit right now, but I
suspect that's because I've been neglecting some of the plants...I think
they are dead before the snails start to eat them.

Leigh

Old 25-04-2003, 07:56 AM
redled

"Robert Flory" wrote in
.com:

Mid posted
"redled" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks. I'll look into those.
Old 25-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Dick

I have a 5 1/2" Pleco, Angilecus, and he has shown no interest in the
small cone shapped snails which have appeared after buying some
plants.

Old 26-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Christopher

Predatory ghost shrimp? what do you people have? I had a guppy in a 20g with
50+ ghost shrimp. Guppy is just fine, how much smaller than a guppy can you
get?

Old 26-04-2003, 03:08 PM
LeighMo

Not a Columbian ramshorn, is it? The ones that get to be 1" or
bigger? They are terrible plant-eaters.

I have no idea. Mine is almost 3" in diameter but appears to have
stopped growing. I've never seen it eat plants. How long do these
things live? Mine is starting to slow down and close his trap door lots.

If they're like apple snails, they live 18 months to three years, depending on
temperature. The cooler the water, the longer the snail lives.

It sounds like you have a Columbian ramshorn. They often have pretty white or
yellow stripes that follow the spiral of their brown shells. But they really
aren't suited for a planted tank. They eat plants like crazy.

Hmm, interesting. They are eating my plants quite a bit right now, but I
suspect that's because I've been neglecting some of the plants...I think
they are dead before the snails start to eat them.

That could be. Or it might be that the Columbian ramshorn is damaging the
plants, and the pond snails are moving in to chomp on the leftovers.

If you have another tank, you might try moving the ramshorn to it, and see if
that helps. IME, Columbian ramshorns cause far more damage to plants than pond
snails.

If the pond snails are eating healthy plants, then they are very hungry indeed.
They should be easy to trap, with a lettuce leaf or slice of zucchini.

Leigh

Old 26-04-2003, 03:20 PM
LeighMo

Predatory ghost shrimp? what do you people have? I had a guppy in a 20g with
50+ ghost shrimp. Guppy is just fine, how much smaller than a guppy can you
get?

Guppy fry. Ghost shrimp can easily hunt and kill livebearer fry. I've also
heard reports of them attacking small neon tetras. They bite them behind the
head, at the spine, to immoblize them.

And Frank Greco recently posted to the Freshwater Shrimp list, warning that
he's seen ghost shrimp attack bettas. He's had two male Betta splendens killed
by ghost shrimp. The ghost shrimp attach themselves to the betta's fins, rip
off pieces, and eat them. (I suspect bettas are more vulnerable than guppies,
because they're so slow.)

I always thought ghost shrimp were harmless. And so did Frank. I'd heard
stories of them attacking fish, but always assumed that it was the
similar-looking Macrobrachium species to blame. But Frank knows his shrimp.
If he says they're ghost shrimp, they're ghost shrimp. They are far more
predatory than I realized.

Leigh

Old 28-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Haywire

Hmm, I might add a few pennies worth of comment here,

I've recently had great success with peacock gudgeons (gobies) I had a
major infestation in the 20G tank, and scored 4 in auction to raise out and
within a few days I noticed that I had no more snails left.

redled wrote in
:

"Robert Flory" wrote in
.com:

Mid posted
. ..

Old 28-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Haywire

conical eh? Malaysian trumpet snails, great for churning the substrate,
nice nocturnal snails for planted tanks, someone tell my snails that they
are out in the day time ontop of the black sand, moving through it etc.
Norting will eat them, not my clown's not the pleco's nada.

Dick wrote in
:

Old 29-04-2003, 05:44 AM
redled

Haywire wrote in
5.104:

Hmm, I might add a few pennies worth of comment here,

I've recently had great success with peacock gudgeons (gobies) I had a
major infestation in the 20G tank, and scored 4 in auction to raise
out and within a few days I noticed that I had no more snails left.

I think I will try these