GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   too much lighting..? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/17551-too-much-lighting.html)

P. 25-04-2003 03:44 AM

too much lighting..?

I have a 20gal tank with 1.5wpg on it, I'd like to know what are the effects
on the tank if the lights are left on for 14+ hours a day?

Phil..

LeighMo 25-04-2003 03:44 AM

too much lighting..?

I have a 20gal tank with 1.5wpg on it, I'd like to know what are the effects
on the tank if the lights are left on for 14+ hours a day?

Algae. Fourteen hours is okay, but if you go much longer than that, you may
have an algae problem.

Fish need a day-night cycle, too, so it's not good for them to leave the lights
on all the time.

Leigh

redled 25-04-2003 06:56 AM

too much lighting..?

tose (LeighMo) wrote in
:

I have a 20gal tank with 1.5wpg on it, I'd like to know what are the
effects on the tank if the lights are left on for 14+ hours a day?

Algae. Fourteen hours is okay, but if you go much longer than that,
you may have an algae problem.

Fish need a day-night cycle, too, so it's not good for them to leave
the lights on all the time.

Leigh

Plants should have a day cycle too. I time my lights so that they are on
in the morning for a few hours so I can feed them, off during the day for
a few hours while I'm not home, and then on until late at night, when I
like to see my tanks.