Old 25-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Bill Beam

Default Help with CO2 Tank System and Eclipse Filter/Hood

I purchased a 5lb tank of CO2 and a regulator. I cut a small hole in
the bottom of my incoming filter pipe. I ran a hose from the
regulator to the bottom of the intake pipe. The pipe is clear and I
can tell I've got about 2-3 bubbles per second CO2. The intake pipe
goes through impeller - sprayed out onto mechanical filter and then
into biowheel. Does this sound like an adequate CO2 setup? Do you
think the bubbles will get diffused correctly in the impeller? On a
20g tank, could someone estimate the ph drop I might see at the rate
of CO2 I'm putting in? Thanks
Old 25-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Jim Miller

i found that removing the biowheel raised the co2 level by about 5ppm. i was
using diy but with the same approach as you on a system 3.

your co2 bottle will do better.

good luck

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies

Old 25-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Bob Alston

The bubble rate you have set sounds high to me for a 20 gal. I run just
slightly less and 1 bubble per second on my 55 gallon tank. but you have
the bio wheel which will help you to lose a lot of the co2 you inject. I
would suggest you remove it.

Watch your pH level closely initially and use this calculator to calculate
your co2 level. Also watch for gasping fish - a sign of too much co2.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

--
Bob Alston

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/

Old 26-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Bill Beam

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:23:28 GMT, "Bob Alston"
wrote:

The bubble rate you have set sounds high to me for a 20 gal. I run just
slightly less and 1 bubble per second on my 55 gallon tank. but you have
the bio wheel which will help you to lose a lot of the co2 you inject. I
would suggest you remove it.

Watch your pH level closely initially and use this calculator to calculate
your co2 level. Also watch for gasping fish - a sign of too much co2.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Thanks for the help. Looks like after several hours of this setup,
I've got - KH at 4d, PH at 6.9 for a CO2 level of nearly 15. I think
that's probably OK according to the chart on the link you gave me.
Question about the biowheel - if I take it out will I see a spike in
ammonia/nitrites?
Old 26-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Bob Alston

Maybe. Depends on how well established the rest of your filter is. If the
filter media has been in place for a while, then I wouldn't worry about
removing the biowheel. Remember, lots of hang-on-the-back filters work just
fine without bio-wheels.

Bob

--
Bob Alston
918.494.4913

Old 26-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Bill Beam

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 01:53:42 GMT, "Bob Alston"
wrote:

Maybe. Depends on how well established the rest of your filter is. If the
filter media has been in place for a while, then I wouldn't worry about
removing the biowheel. Remember, lots of hang-on-the-back filters work just
fine without bio-wheels.

Bob

Thanks Bob - the charcoal filter pack has been in for about 2 weeks.
I change it about every three weeks or so. Guess I'd have to stop
that. Guess I could just wash off the debris and put it back in. Do
you think so? Thx again.

Old 26-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Bob Alston

That should work. Best if you wash it off in dechlorinated water. I prev
had an dual-bio-wheel filter so I could alternate which filter media I
rinsed and which I had to replace.

Bob

--
Bob Alston
918.494.4913

Old 27-04-2003, 03:09 PM
nikolay_kraltchev

Make a small hole big enough to shake/dump away the active carbon.
Then refill with some sort of high surface area material - small
lavarock or anythying ceramic you can find in the pet store that is
mean to be a place for nitryifying bacteria to grow. Takes very
little to fill that bag.

--Nikolay