GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Marimo Balls, Moss Balls, Aegagropila linnaei, Cladophora aegagropila (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/178762-marimo-balls-moss-balls-aegagropila-linnaei-cladophora-aegagropila.html)

John Smith[_5_] 21-09-2008 08:30 PM

Marimo Balls, Moss Balls, Aegagropila linnaei, Cladophora aegagropila

Awhile back, I set aside a 25g aquarium for the culture of Marimo Balls,
no fish in it. All the data I have read on them call them slow growing,
and this may be true--in their natural habitat.

But, as necessary, a few drops of Shultz Liquid Fertilizer (10-15-10 and
NO copper), a bit of lime, calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate,
micro-nutrients (NO copper) and warm water--78-80f, fairly frequent
water changes and they pearl (throw off oxygen bubbles) and grow like
crazy. I tossed some Elodea into the tank and get an inch or two growth
on each strand a day! It is the biggest, stoutest, most beautiful and
healthy looking Elodea I have ever seen ...

Now I am thinking about cultivating the Marimo Balls in a 350g aquarium
and supplying stores in my area. As, only two have them and they $10.00
a piece, for small ones!

Regards,
JS