Old 27-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default champagne or wine yeasts for DIY CO2?

I've heard about using champagne or wine yeast for DIY CO2. How much
different is that from the normal quick rising yeast I get at the grocery
store? How much longer will it last etc. Does anyone use it successfully and
if so, what sort of proportions are used with sugar

Changing the mixture every week or so is getting a bit tiresome
thanx alot!

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Old 27-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Rick

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
news
I've heard about using champagne or wine yeast for DIY CO2. How much
different is that from the normal quick rising yeast I get at the grocery
store? How much longer will it last etc. Does anyone use it successfully
and
if so, what sort of proportions are used with sugar

Changing the mixture every week or so is getting a bit tiresome
thanx alot!

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

I was using the wine yeast with the jello recipe and it would last between
2-3 weeks. Didn't try it with the just water and sugar. I get about 10 days
from the regular mixture. Wine yeast is a buck (cdn) a package here and you
use (or I did) one entire package per mixture so it was just getting too
expensive.

Rick

Old 27-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Robert Flory

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
news
I've heard about using champagne or wine yeast for DIY CO2. How much
different is that from the normal quick rising yeast I get at the grocery
store? How much longer will it last etc. Does anyone use it successfully
and
if so, what sort of proportions are used with sugar

Changing the mixture every week or so is getting a bit tiresome
thanx alot!

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Switch to the jello mixture. I get over 3 weeks to s 2 liter bottle. The
real advantage to using the wine yeast is as some put somewhere one this
news group of a list somewhere... you could drink the end result.
Bob

Old 29-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Tasslehoff

The champagne yeast I use (Lalvin EC1118)lasts nearly 5 weeks(set up fresh
bottle at 1 month mark). It comes in 5g(.176oz) bags costing roughly
US$1.30 which is enough for 3 batches at 2/3 tsp a pop. I use 1.5-2 cups
sugar with a pinch of baking soda which results in a bubble every 2.5
seconds. All my batches seem to take nearly a day to kick in for some
reason even though many reckon it only takes a couple of hours, even with
the water preheated to 38C and the bottle kept in a 26C bucket of water,
whether thats b/c of soft, mineral barren water I can't be certain.

Old 02-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Jody

I think the wine & champagne yeasts react slower over a longer period
of time, while baking yeasts react quickly but fizzle-out sooner. It
makes sense if you think about the true purpose of the different types
of yeast. It takes more time to create wine or champagne than for
bread to rise.

Jody

Old 02-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Jody

Okay, what's the 'jello mixture'? Any links about it?

Thanks,
Jody

Old 03-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Robert Flory

"Jody" wrote in message
Okay, what's the 'jello mixture'? Any links about it?

Thanks,
Jody

http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquasource/jello.shtml

or

Search Result 2
From: Rick
Subject: algae, co2, etc
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Date: 2003-04-08 07:08:33 PST

SNIP

2 x 85 g packages of regular jello, colour of your choice. Add 500 ml of hot
water, dissolve to mix, add 1/2 cup of sugar and shake to mix, add 500 ml of
cold water, shake to mix and then place in fridge overnight or until jello
sets. Once set add 500 ml of warm water, 1/4 tsp of bakers yeast or one
package of Champagne yeast (recommended) and a pinch of baking soda and away
you go.

Rick

Old 03-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Jody

Thanks. I read the article as well. So it takes about a week before
production is strong enough to hook-up?

Jody

.com...

Old 03-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Rick

"Jody" wrote in message
news
Thanks. I read the article as well. So it takes about a week before
production is strong enough to hook-up?

Jody

my jello mix would start producing bubbles in a few hours. Mix it up and
hook it up right away, no need to wait.

Rick

Old 03-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Duncan A. McRae

Somebody suggested once that I have two generators going at once, and
stagger their replacement. In that fashion, it wouldn't matter too much how
long the new one takes to start steady production, since the other will
continue. I'm going to hook two bottles up to a single air-stone/impeller
input, with a check-valve for each before the T-junction. As soon as I can
convince my 5 y.o. daughter to consume another 8L of cranberry juice, that
is!

Cheers;
Duncan

"Rick" wrote in message
. ..

news

From: Rick
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Date: 2003-04-08 07:08:33 PST

SNIP

2 x 85 g packages of regular jello, colour of your choice. Add 500 ml of

hot
water, dissolve to mix, add 1/2 cup of sugar and shake to mix, add 500 ml

of
cold water, shake to mix and then place in fridge overnight or until jello
sets. Once set add 500 ml of warm water, 1/4 tsp of bakers yeast or one
package of Champagne yeast (recommended) and a pinch of baking soda and

away
you go.

Rick

that sugar ratio is incorrect, I apologize for that. It should be 1.5 cups

of sugar not a 1/2 cup.

Rick

Old 04-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Robert Flory

"Jody" wrote in message
news
Thanks. I read the article as well. So it takes about a week before
production is strong enough to hook-up?

Jody

Nah...... just add a dollop of sugar along with the water and yeast...That
will jump start it and keep it going until the yeast gets working well on
the Jell-O. It should be up and running in a few hours.

bob

Old 05-05-2003, 01:20 AM
SLEngst

I'm mixing a Lalvin wine yeast with baking yeast and get both a fast start and
a longer lasting batch than with just the baking yeast.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Jody

Wayne Jones used to hang-out in this group a lot, and he had lots of good
advice on yeasts and such. I dug-up on old response and am pasting it in
below just as an FYI.

Hey Wayne, what's that strain of wine yeast you have suggested before?
Sorry I can't remember.

Lalvin KV-1116 is the best that I have tried. I always thought before
that this was S. Cerevisae but it turns outs that S. Cerevisae is
composed of many strains of which Lalvin KV-1116 is only one. Any S.
Cerevisae seems to work fine though and I am sure that there are many
out there that will work even better. You can get super high alchohol
tolerant yeasts but I am not sure that is a good thing. If you do manage
to attain 20% alchohol content some of the methanol which is quite
volitile might make it into your fish tank. After all we are trying to
make CO2 and not high percentage alchohol drinks and any yeast will do
that. The problem with some yeasts with low alchohol tolerance is that
you would need a pretty large fermentor to produce enough CO2. There is
also the cost of the yeast. It can cost as much or more than the sugar.

Wayne

Old 05-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Jody

I used to be a big proponent of using juice bottles as well, probably for
the same reasons you like them - sturdy bottles with larger base, and larger
openings for adding ingredients. Then one day I discovered how much the
lids leak under pressure. When I pressed down on the lid, the bubble-rate
increased dramatically. I have sinced switched back to the soda bottles
which are clearly designed to hold in, guess what? CO2! The lids are
obviously more air-tight to keep the CO2 in and keep the fizz fresh in the
soda. I just wish the bottles' plastic wasn't so thin, and that the bottoms
weren't so rounded. Many people set the bottles in little boxes to keep
them secure.

FWIW,
Jody

"Duncan A. McRae" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Somebody suggested once that I have two generators going at once, and
stagger their replacement. In that fashion, it wouldn't matter too much

how
long the new one takes to start steady production, since the other will
continue. I'm going to hook two bottles up to a single air-stone/impeller
input, with a check-valve for each before the T-junction. As soon as I

can
convince my 5 y.o. daughter to consume another 8L of cranberry juice, that
is!

Cheers;
Duncan

"Rick" wrote in message