Old 27-04-2003, 09:08 AM
WD

Default MTS and Clown Loach

Will clowns harrass MTS's? I know they will attack some snails, but I have a
serious algae problem on the wall of my 75g acrylic. The SAE's and gourami
won't touch it, I can't use a blade scraper, and scrubbing at it with a
scrubby pad takes so much elbow grease that I slosh the water out of the
tank I'm hoping the snails will have luck with it.

tia

--
----
Billy

"When the day comes that anyone can bend
our country's laws and lawmakers to serve
selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic
government dies" -- Preston Tucker, 1948

Old 27-04-2003, 09:44 AM
SteveG

I don't think Malaysian Trumpet Snails will not help with algae control. If
it's the green spots, have you considered lowering light output or
decreasing fertilizer dosage?

Old 27-04-2003, 09:44 AM
SteveG

I meant that the trumpet snails will do very little to help you with your
algae problem.

Old 27-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Flash Wilson

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 07:06:52 GMT, WD wrote:
Will clowns harrass MTS's? I know they will attack some snails, but I have a
serious algae problem on the wall of my 75g acrylic. The SAE's and gourami
won't touch it, I can't use a blade scraper, and scrubbing at it with a
scrubby pad takes so much elbow grease that I slosh the water out of the
tank I'm hoping the snails will have luck with it.

I don't think the clowns will eat them as they have a harder shell
than other snails but as someone else said Malasians don't remove
algae. I've got loads of them, and algae still needs removing.

--
Flash Wilson Webmaster & UNIX SysAdmin
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Solaris / FreeBSD / Linux
Old 27-04-2003, 01:20 PM
LeighMo

Will clowns harrass MTS's?

Yes. My clowns kill any snail that dares show its antenna in their tank. They
also dig up the substrate looking for MTS. Once they've killed them all, they
no longer dig.

Algae...MTS will eat algae off the glass. As soon as the lights go out, you
see them crawling up the sides of the glass, in search of dinner. However,
that hard "green spot" algae is too hard for just about any critter to eat.
You have to scrape it. Try a credit card. Algae-eating critters will help
prevent it from growing back.

A bristlenose pleco will do a good job of keeping the glass clean, won't get
too large, and is tough enough to stand up to clown loaches.

Leigh

Old 28-04-2003, 04:44 AM
WD

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Will clowns harrass MTS's?

TY all for your input.

billy

Old 28-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Haywire

from my experience,

MTS's will not make a significant difference on the algae if it's that bad
then you have to find another way.

MTS's man if only the clowns could take them on, I have 4 about 2 1/2" and
they don't touch 'em least not that I could notice a drop in the MTS
population.

"WD" wrote in

Old 28-04-2003, 01:44 PM
LeighMo

how big are your clowns?

Mine are currently 5" to 6" long. The largest ones are the MTS hunters. I've
seen them dig huge holes in the gravel looking for them, then pulling them out
and worrying them like a dog with a bone. It can keep them busy for hours.

It takes them longer to kill MTS than pond snails or ramshorns, but they do get
them eventually.

Leigh

Old 07-05-2003, 11:20 PM
SlimFlem

My 6 clown loaches pulvarized every snail in my tank....all the "regular"
snails. As far as MTS, they get those too. As LeighMo stated, mine also
dig in the gravel looking for them. once one is found, they hold it in
their mouth and run cuz the other clowns try and take it.

also, today i put in 4 new plants in my tank. just some short stuff from
the lfs. the clowns literally attacked these plants. they swarmed them and
even bit holes in many of the leaves. i could hear them clicking as they
took bites. this lasted about 30 minutes to 45 minutes. i don't know what
they were doing....they've never done that before. they are all about
middle finger size. maybe there were snail eggs on them or something???

5.104...

Old 08-05-2003, 02:08 AM
LeighMo

the clowns literally attacked these plants. they swarmed them and
even bit holes in many of the leaves. i could hear them clicking as they
took bites. this lasted about 30 minutes to 45 minutes. i don't know what
they were doing....they've never done that before. they are all about
middle finger size. maybe there were snail eggs on them or something???

Maybe. But I suspect they just ate the plants. Mine do that all the time.
They like salad. Maybe the plants you bought are just more tender and tasty
than the ones you already had. My clowns are particularly fond of soft-leaved
plants like Hygro, Didiplis, and babytears.

I'm coming to the conclusion that clown loaches and planted tanks really don't
go together. :-P But I'm very fond of my clowns, so I put up with their
depredations.

Leigh