Old 27-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Bob A

Default aquariumfish.net arrivals

I received my SAE's and shrimp, Ancistrus, and some Panda Cory Cats from
aquariumfish.net Friday. I'm afraid I haven't had very good luck. The
Ancistrus and SAE's are fine, I ordered 5 SAE's and got 6, but I think they
are all still fine. Sometimes difficult to find in all the plants. I
suspect all the shrimp are dead, but maybe they are in the plants somewhere.
I ordered Amano shrimp, and I am pretty sure I got Ghost shrimp instead.
They appear very transparent. Two of the five Cory Cats are dead, they were
supposed to be 1", but they are tiny, maybe slightly over 1/2". I wonder if
they are more susceptible to problems being so young.

I ordered Monday, and requested (via web form) arrival on Friday. I
received a form email Tue stating that I would be notified within three days
of when they would arrive. It also stated specifically that they would not
be shipped without notification. However, the only way I knew they were
coming was a FedEx email saying I had been shipped an overnight package.

I'm not really complaining, but I feel a bit discouraged, mainly about the
shrimp and cory cats. I guess my main question is, are shrimp usually
visible in a heavily planted tank? I saw one the night I put them in, and
one the next morning, which was eating. Haven't seen any since.

bob allred

Old 27-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Ronald Nelson

On 4/27/03 12:37 PM, in article , "Bob A"
wrote:

[...]

Bob,
The only time I see my shrimp is at night with a flashlight, otherwise
they hide in the shadows. I can't say that I know enough about them though
to tell you this is normal behavior. But it seems to me the norm in my tank.

HTH,
Ron

Old 27-04-2003, 09:34 PM
E. Mito

In article , "Bob A"
writes:

I ordered Amano shrimp, and I am pretty sure I got Ghost shrimp instead.
They appear very transparent.

I ordered both Amano shrimp and ghost shrimp from aquariumfish.net; I wouldn't
have been able to tell one from the other had I ordered only one kind of
shrimp, but the two were distinguishable from each other in that the amano
shrimp have a light brown stripe down their backs. The ghost shrimp did not.

I ordered Monday, and requested (via web form) arrival on Friday. I
received a form email Tue stating that I would be notified within three days
of when they would arrive. It also stated specifically that they would not
be shipped without notification. However, the only way I knew they were
coming was a FedEx email saying I had been shipped an overnight package.

I did not have good experience with aquariumfish.net online customer service
(they were very slow in responding; however, when I got impatient for them to
reply to my emails, I called them and their telephone support was great). I
was given notice of shipment, but I was not pleased with the courier who simply
left the package at the door without requesting any kind of signature, let
alone knocking on the door. I was lucky to hear the box thump against the door
(not a very fish-in-a-box compassionate delivery person).

I guess my main question is, are shrimp usually
visible in a heavily planted tank? I saw one the night I put them in, and
one the next morning, which was eating. Haven't seen any since.

Don't get too discouraged if you don't see any of your shrimp. They have
excellent camouflage and hiding skills. I thought mine had all died shortly
after I received them, too, until I got good at finding them in their favorite
hiding places. Turns out they have gotten really big and fat -- they are
probably more comfortable now in my tank, too so it could be that they are just
easier to find becasue they are not as shy.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 28-04-2003, 12:20 AM
LeighMo

I ordered Amano shrimp, and I am pretty sure I got Ghost shrimp instead.
They appear very transparent.

Most shrimp are transparent when you get them. They color up in your tank, and
may end up looking quite different from how they looked when you first got
them.

Amano shrimp vary a lot in color, but when I first got mine, they were
transparent, and some of them have remained so. You can't tell them from ghost
shrimp by the color. Amano shrimp have slightly thicker bodies, and don't have
as sharp a bend at the "waist" as ghost shrimp. They have dotted brown lines
running longitudinally down their bodies, but these aren't always visible.

And it's perfectly normal for you not to see them. Especially if the tank is
planted. They like to hide, especially if there are large fish in the tank.
Once they are used to your tank, they may come out at meal time. Or maybe not.
A lot of people don't even realize they still have shrimp until they break
down the tank.

Two of the five Cory Cats are dead, they were
supposed to be 1", but they are tiny, maybe slightly over 1/2". I wonder if
they are more susceptible to problems being so young.

Sorry to hear that. The pandas I ordered from AquariumFish.net were also very,
very tiny. But they were all alive.

I guess my main question is, are shrimp usually
visible in a heavily planted tank? I saw one the night I put them in, and
one the next morning, which was eating. Haven't seen any since.

That is perfectly normal with Amano shrimp.

I think it's normal to see a lot of Amano shrimp out in the open only when
there are no large fish in the tank, or when you've got a lot of shrimp. You
always see them in Amano's photos, but he puts a lot of shrimp in his tank.
Ten per gallon, or something ridiculous like that.

Leigh

Old 28-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Bob A

I wanted to thank everyone who responded, in one post, thanks! I am
encouraged that the shrimp may be well, after all. And probably they are
Amanos.

I do wish I had prepared by having a smaller, less crowded tank to start the
shrimp and smaller fish in. The Panda Corys are incredibly cute. I'm
glad yours did well Leigh. Can you tell me how big they are now?

Someone said aquariumfish.net sounded like it was not a good place to order
from, I really don't want to put them down. Mainly I would agree with Leigh
that email service was lacking. I also did not have to sign for them, and
that really surprised me. If I ever order from them again, I will do it by
phone and ask questions.

thanks again,

bob

Old 28-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Christopher

you don't have to sign for them because if they require a signature and you
are in your bathroom taking a shower when they come then your package gets
taken back to the facility (at the end of the day) so best case scenario is
instead of getting your package at 11am you get it at 8pm. I guess they
figure its better for you to get it earlier than later. They overnight the
fish from san diego so you are probably getting them ~20 hours after being
bagged, add 9 hours to that and I'll bet you would have a lot higher
mortality rate. What they are doing is smarter for the fish and incures
more liability for them because you could not be home until that evening and
then when you get the fish you could claim losses that YOU were responsible
for and blame them for it since they have no way of knowing when you got the
package.

I was pleased with aquariumfish, although I wouldn't go buying ghost shrimp
from them, $.40 each is riddiculous, some of their fish are really good
deals, others are not.

Old 28-04-2003, 10:32 PM
LeighMo

The Panda Corys are incredibly cute. I'm
glad yours did well Leigh. Can you tell me how big they are now?

Much bigger than they were, but still not huge. Maybe an inch long, excluding
tail. They were half that size when I got them. They are slow growers
compared to the other critters I got at the same time. The SAEs are now
immense. The Amano shrimp are, too. Panda corys seem to be relatively slow
growers. I've seen them in stores as big as 2", so a year later, mine still
have plenty of growing to do.

They are still very cute. Very active fish. They like playing with the yoyo
loaches.

Mainly I would agree with Leigh
that email service was lacking.

I didn't say that. I think Erika did. I found their e-mail service very good.
I was told when I placed my order when it would be delivered, and I got
another e-mail reminder the day before. I also asked them questions a couple
of times, and they got right back to me.

I also did not have to sign for them, and
that really surprised me.

I like that, personally. I hate when they won't leave a package without a
signature, and you have to either drive an hour to their warehouse or wait
until the next day.

Leigh

Old 29-04-2003, 12:20 AM
cindy

I recently bought 2 red cherry shrimp ($7/each!!) and 10 amano shrimp
($2.29/each) from another on-line source. I have yet to see the red
shrimp - total waste of money - the little buggers must be hiding in
the back of the tank having a big laugh at me. The amano shrimp took
a few days to get used to the tank and come out of hiding. Now I can
always find 2 or 3 if I look carefully (they do camoflage well).

Good luck,
Cindy

Old 29-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Vincent

40 cents for a ghost shrimp. Down here where I live, We can get it at
like 200 pieces for US3.00. And if you feel lucky or maybe a little
stingy, there's a lot of ponds around here where you can get more than
you ever need with just an hour of netting.

Old 29-04-2003, 02:20 AM
LeighMo

40 cents for a ghost shrimp. Down here where I live, We can get it at
like 200 pieces for US3.00.

Up here where I live, ghost shrimp are $0.89 each at the cheap LFS, over a
dollar at some of the others.

Needless to say, they aren't used as feeders....

Leigh

Old 29-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Vincent

tose (LeighMo) wrote in message ...
40 cents for a ghost shrimp. Down here where I live, We can get it at
like 200 pieces for US3.00.

Up here where I live, ghost shrimp are $0.89 each at the cheap LFS, over a
dollar at some of the others.

Needless to say, they aren't used as feeders....

Leigh

On the contrary, ghost shrimps are feeders for my 2 cichlosoma and 5 parrotfish.

Now this starts me thinking of doing serious shrimps exporting...

this is the price i just found out what people are selling over here...

ghost shrimps - $3.00 for 200
bee shrimps - $16 for 50
tiger shrimps - $17 for 50
amano shrimps - $0.70 each

so anyone interested?
Old 29-04-2003, 11:44 AM
LeighMo

On the contrary, ghost shrimps are feeders for my 2 cichlosoma and 5
parrotfish.

I meant people don't buy them as feeders here. Seeing as they cost about a
dollar each.

Weirdly, you can buy them for really cheap during the summer, from bait shops.
But I think they're a different species of shrimp -- brackish, and so less
desirable for fishtanks.

ghost shrimps - $3.00 for 200
bee shrimps - $16 for 50
tiger shrimps - $17 for 50
amano shrimps - $0.70 each

Yikes. Where are you?

Leigh

Old 29-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Christopher

yeah where do you live? Also are you sure they are the freshwater ghost
shrimp we are talking about?

om...