Old 26-04-2010, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Bulbs for a twin tube hood

I have a planted 30 gallon extra high tank with a 24" twin tube strip
light I bough a few years ago. It cam with 2 T5 22" bulbs that have
since burned out. I manage to find online, 22" 5500K "daylight" T5
bulbs which came in the mail today. Are 5500K bulbs good to use in a
planted tank, or should I be using a different wavelength?

The bulbs that were in the hood were T5-14W-W 12000K bulbs, but I
couldn't find anyone that made a bulb like that.

Most stores recommended I go to a twin tube HO setup, but I don't want
to spend that kind of money. I would prefer to find an old 24" twin
tube hood that uses standard size bulbs, so I can just buy 2 viatlites
and stick them in here, but no one seems ot make those anymore.

Andy

Old 30-04-2010, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Andy Pastuszak" wrote in message
I have a planted 30 gallon extra high tank with a 24" twin tube strip light
I bough a few years ago. It cam with 2 T5 22" bulbs that have since burned
out. I manage to find online, 22" 5500K "daylight" T5 bulbs which came in
the mail today. Are 5500K bulbs good to use in a planted tank, or should I
be using a different wavelength?

When I was still using regular fluorescents I preferred "aquaglo" bulbs
which are 18000K. My fish room receives a lot of ambient light during the
day though. If it was a darker room, I would have probably gone with one
aquaglo and one that is more white/yellow like the sunglo which is about
5500K I think. In any case, the color temperature doesn't matter as much as
the actual spectrum it produces. For optimal plant growth, you want a bulb
with peaks in the blue and red range (not far red).

Hope that helps.
-N

Old 18-05-2010, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
JLG JLG is offline

On Apr 26, 1:31*pm, Andy Pastuszak wrote:
I have a planted 30 gallon extra high tank with a 24" twin tube strip
light I bough a few years ago. *It cam with 2 T5 22" bulbs that have
since burned out. *I manage to find online, 22" 5500K "daylight" T5
bulbs which came in the mail today. *Are 5500K bulbs good to use in a
planted tank, or should I be using a different wavelength?

The bulbs that were in the hood were T5-14W-W 12000K bulbs, but I
couldn't find anyone that made a bulb like that.

Most stores recommended I go to a twin tube HO setup, but I don't want
to spend that kind of money. *I would prefer to find an old 24" twin
tube hood that uses standard size bulbs, so I can just buy 2 viatlites
and stick them in here, but no one seems ot make those anymore.

Andy

Hey Andy,

I also have a 29gal high planted aquarium. My hood could hold two
bulbs but I only have one flora glo 20 W- 24" (61 cm)- 25 mm Diameter-
T8 bulb. I am using an aqua clear 10-30gal filter with a sponge and
one bag of chemipure. I also give liquid nutrients (the Flourish
fundamentals kit). I also have
1-2inches of flourite substrate on top of my regular gravel. My plants
are absolutely flourishing. Sometimes i get a large growth of hair
algae but I have this little white pleco catfish thing and 4 pencil
fish that have been keeping it under control.

Jonna
Old 30-05-2010, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

On May 18, 2:33*pm, JLG wrote:
[...]

Well, I went and got new bulbs for the hood. One of the bulbs burned
out after only one week, so I think the hood is now broken in some
way. I have been trying to find a 24" twin tube strip light and no
one makes them any more. If anyone has one they want to sell, let me
know.

Andy