Old 29-04-2003, 06:44 PM
JEB

Default light requirements for a 20X

Couldn't wait any longer, so I went out and got a 20XH and would like
to plant it. Want to start out low tech (read: no CO2) and wonder if
anyone has a suggestion as to how much light I should put over it for
that. The hitch is the depth, about 24" from the bottom to the glass
hood. With 4" gravel, I'm looking at 20" of water, and don't know how
the depth factors into the light requirement.

Any suggestions?
thanks-

James
Old 29-04-2003, 10:08 PM
350X_Rider

The deeper the tank, less light penetrates the water to make it to the
bottom, so are you asking how much light or how to plant without CO2?

How much light? just a guesstimate
40W minimum without CO2
60W with CO2

Deeper tanks lend themselves to rocks for backgrounds, maybe a shelf with
plants on top, maybe the top 1/3 of the tank could allow a 6-10" planting???
just a thought....
________________
| |
|___plants _______|
| X X |
| x |
| X X |
| |
|__X X X X _|

atleast that would be different... I dont' know what I'm thinking, just a
brain fart or something....

om...

Old 30-04-2003, 12:44 PM
JEB

"350X_Rider" wrote in message ...
The deeper the tank, less light penetrates the water to make it to the
bottom, so are you asking how much light or how to plant without CO2?

I was asking the second one, but can use answers to both.

How much light? just a guesstimate
40W minimum without CO2
60W with CO2

Deeper tanks lend themselves to rocks for backgrounds, maybe a shelf with
plants on top, maybe the top 1/3 of the tank could allow a 6-10" planting???
just a thought....
________________
| |
|___plants _______|
| X X |
| x |
| X X |
| |
|__X X X X _|

atleast that would be different... I dont' know what I'm thinking, just a
brain fart or something....

Actually, I've been scouring the countryside for the last week looking
for really thin shards of slate or shale to goo to the back of the
tank. I have an idea in my mind of creating a labyrinth look with a
thin rock wall. Onyx and black sand on the bottom, a frame that
covers the bottom of the tank so you can't see the substrate, you get
what I mean? Problem is, so far can't find the right rock. What
little I did find is too thick and heavy to go on the back glass.
Maybe if I could find a way to split it thin enough...

James
Old 30-04-2003, 03:44 PM
350X_Rider

Actually, I've been scouring the countryside for the last week looking
for really thin shards of slate or shale to goo to the back of the
tank. I have an idea in my mind of creating a labyrinth look with a
thin rock wall. Onyx and black sand on the bottom, a frame that
covers the bottom of the tank so you can't see the substrate, you get
what I mean? Problem is, so far can't find the right rock. What
little I did find is too thick and heavy to go on the back glass.
Maybe if I could find a way to split it thin enough...

I know you're idea, and NetMax probably has your solution, cheap,
lightweight and pretty fun if you like the DIY route....
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_o...tmax_styro.htm

another guy in the newsgroup, just shared pics of his tank, Mike Noren, very
nice looking background that you may be interested in too....
http://hem.bredband.net/micnor/mitt_akvarium.htm

Advantage to this route, weight... your tank will not suffer from the rock
weight, styro wont' affect your pH, and man does it look great... you can
do whatever YOU want to do....

But the idea of caves, I know what you mean, around here slate is 5.99 a
lb.... pretty pricey for me.. so I opted another route... but will be
revisiting this soon....

Old 30-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Harry Muscle

"350X_Rider" wrote in message
Actually, I've been scouring the countryside for the last looking
for really thin shards of slate or shale to goo to the back of the
tank. I have an idea in my mind of creating a labyrinth look with a
thin rock wall. Onyx and black sand on the bottom, a frame that
covers the bottom of the tank so you can't see the substrate, you get
what I mean? Problem is, so far can't find the right rock. What
little I did find is too thick and heavy to go on the back glass.
Maybe if I could find a way to split it thin enough...

I know you're idea, and NetMax probably has your solution, cheap,
lightweight and pretty fun if you like the DIY route....
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_o...tmax_styro.htm

another guy in the newsgroup, just shared pics of his tank, Mike Noren,

very
nice looking background that you may be interested in too....
http://hem.bredband.net/micnor/mitt_akvarium.htm

Advan to this route, weight... your tank will not suffer from the rock
weight, styro wont' affect your pH, and man does it look great... you can
do whatever YOU want to do....

But the idea of caves, I know what you mean, around here slate is 5.99 a
lb.... pretty pricey for me.. so I opted another route... but will be
revisiting this soon....

Does Mike Noren by any chance explain and detail how he made that
background, it looks really nice?

Thanks,
Harry

Old 30-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Sandy

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
Does Mike Noren by any chance explain and detail how he made that
background, it looks really nice?

Thanks,
Harry

If you want to make backgrounds you might be interested in this :-

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M38A22564

and this :-

http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/janne.html

HTH.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old 30-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Robert Flory

"JEB" wrote in message
om...
SNIP
Actually, I've been scouring the countryside for the last week looking
for really thin shards of slate or shale to goo to the back of the
tank. I have an idea in my mind of creating a labyrinth look with a
thin rock wall. Onyx and black sand on the bottom, a frame that
covers the bottom of the tank so you can't see the substrate, you get
what I mean? Problem is, so far can't find the right rock. What
little I did find is too thick and heavy to go on the back glass.
Maybe if I could find a way to split it thin enough...

James

Check you garden supply or local rockery... "Oakley Stone" is a nice thin
quartz.mica gneiss that has worked for me. Of course at the time I lived in
southern Idaho where it is found. However, I see it here in California and
have seen it in El Paso Texas.

Bob

Old 30-04-2003, 08:44 PM
JEB

Mike Noren's tank is simply stunning. Unbelieveable! Thanks for
those links, I don't know if I can aspire to anything that nice that
isn't real rock. Maybe I'll look around for some styrofoam and put my
Dremel to some use...

Funny this page comes up in a different language from the one it links
from.

James
Old 30-04-2003, 09:56 PM
JEB

Robert Flory wrote:

Check you garden supply or local rockery... "Oakley Stone" is a nice thin
quartz.mica gneiss that has worked for me. Of course at the time I lived in
southern Idaho where it is found. However, I see it here in California and
have seen it in El Paso Texas.

Bob

Thanks for the suggestions, Bob. Going about to garden supplies now,
there are two quarries here that I know of. Will keep Oakley stone in
mind. Around here, bluestone is the commonest rock. Don't know if it
is calciferous or not (my tap water is pretty much without buffer, pH
7.0, GH 2 deg. KH maybe 1 deg.), but it may not be thin enough. At
this point, folks here have given me plenty to think about and explore.

James

Old 30-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Sandy

"Sandy" wrote in message

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
Does Mike Noren by any chance explain and detail how he made that
background, it looks really nice?

Thanks,
Harry

If you want to make backgrounds you might be interested in this :-

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M38A22564

Sorry, the above link doesn't seem to work try the one below.

http://www.african.uklinux.net/phpBB...6&forum=25&166

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Old 30-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Mike Noren

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message ...

Does Mike Noren by any chance explain and detail how he made that
background, it looks really nice?

Not on the site, but I can do so he the background is made from
high-density PUR foam, by a company called Back To Nature. It is
extremely natural looking (even close up and in broad daylight one can
not tell that it's not real rock; I have some closeups I could post if
anyone's interested) but pricy, that background set me back $150.

I did experiment with doing my own PUR foam background, but since I
couldn't get hold of high density foam, only the standard bubbly foam,
the result was less than perfect. Also, painting obviously takes
artistic skill, which I do not have.

One advantage of a background such as this is that one can use the
space behind the background for a filter and to hide e.g. the heater.

CO2 requirements for Low Light Plants Daza Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 09-02-2004 06:31 PM
Light Requirements sneff Orchids 3 11-10-2003 06:22 PM
Determing light requirements... Dan Norgard Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 25-09-2003 03:12 PM
Determing light requirements... Dan Norgard Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 24-09-2003 03:35 AM
Determing light requirements... Dan Norgard Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 24-09-2003 03:30 AM