Old 03-05-2003, 12:45 AM
Martin

Default Adding Potassium - any thoughts

I need to add Nitrate and probably Potassium to my tank in order to get the
plants to grow and algae to die off (hopefully). My Nitrates are 0 (when I
add Flora Grow or other substance it increases slightly, when I perform a
water change it increases a lot) not long after (in days) its back to 0 and
there seems to be far more hair algae (some brush is appearing as well)
covering all my plants. I inject CO2 as well. Its bloody frustrating.

So apart from the 3% potassium that the flora grow will put in (which is
expensive as well) - I have purchased some Sulphate of Potash......for
garden usage. It says on the packet that it has 49-50% K2O - but it doesn't
state other chemicals. It's very white and very fine grained and looks like
cocaine (as if I would spot it even if it were put in front of me - lol).
Anyway if I catch the fish using straws and floating around the living room,
then I know something has gone horribly wrong - lol lol.

My question is - is this stuff suitable for an aquarium when sufficiently
diluted and where can I find the maths for diluting it properly. I live in
the UK and the product is http://www.gemgardening.co.uk/prodlist.asp?val=veg
however, has anyone else used this at all. I would hate to kill off all the
fish in an experiment to get rid of algae. I have read, on the Krib that
about 3/4 teaspoon for my 250L (66G) tank should be enough per week. But I
would like to make up a solution so that it can be added easily.

Does anyone know what I can buy for the KNO3 please....In the UK.....

Thanks in advance

Martin

Old 03-05-2003, 01:56 AM
redled

"Martin" wrote in
:

[...]

I don't know about that stuff you have, but if you need anything like
that, try to find a hydroponics store near you. I found everything to
make a couple year's worth of PMDD for about $10.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Madpiano

Hydroponics don't exist in the UK.

Sorry I can't help you with your white powder (maybe you can sell it on some
backstreet and do a runner ? ;-))

KentMarine have just released a whole load of FW Fertilizers. I have just
ordered the Potassium from them. As soon as it arrives, I let you know what
else (apart from Potassium) it contains.

Hope you get help with your powder

Greetings
Mad

Old 03-05-2003, 04:33 AM
Slow Leak

I would not mess with individual component fertilzer as it will just
frusterate novice. It could help if you know the deficiency you are dealing
with. though. Potassium is always safe to add moderately. Really there is no
magic here. The requirements are

-2-4 watts per gallon of fluorecent T8, PC, or T5 lighting 8-10 hrs per day
in small tanks
- Alkalinity 80 ppm, Hardness of 120-80 ppm depending on area you live that
is good for south american plants
- pH controller with co2 diffuser to pH 6.7 to 6.8 (this is called high tech
in some circles)

when this is set correctly then....

-add potassium sulfate at 1/4 teaspoon week per 200 liters with 25% weekly
water changes. This will reduce nitrates and appearance of green peas soup
water. It may come and go still within first 3-5 months of setup though.
- when nitrates are zero at 1ml per 20 liters of PMDD recipe (33gm MgSO4, 14
gm KSO4, 6 gm KNO3) and discontinue adding potassium sulfate. I use an Eheim
Liquidoser and it works great because I am too busy to do this.
-Shortly after I will use 1/2 dosage of Tropica Master grow weekly.

With the liquidoser 35 usd, pH controller 200 usd, diffuser 60 usd, and
regulator 100 usd, and bubble counter 20 usd, and light timer 25 usd. I have
an almost algae free tank with only feeding and weekly water changes
required. Anything can be grown with this recipe.

I made my own micronutrients as well using Fe-EDDHA wich is difficult to
obtain with other DTPA/EDTA of Cu,MO, MN Zn. The Iron is very soluble and
available in that form.I can sell One liter bottles to anyone who cares
further experiment . It really does work great.

Slow Leak

Old 03-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Sandy

"Madpiano" wrote in message
Hydroponics don't exist in the UK.

Sorry I can't help you with your white powder (maybe you can sell it on

some
backstreet and do a runner ? ;-))

KentMarine have just released a whole load of FW Fertilizers. I have just
ordered the Potassium from them. As soon as it arrives, I let you know

what
else (apart from Potassium) it contains.

Hope you get help with your powder

Greetings
Mad

Have a look here.

http://www.1-hydroponics.co.uk/main.htm

and this Google search gives plenty more.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R26732E64

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old 03-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Paul Davies

I bought some KNO3 from my local pharmacist, a real one, not Boots. You should also try this website
http://www.computercookbook.co.uk/chemicals.
By the way , I am trying the Chempak trace element mix. I got it by mail order from :-
http://www.longwoodgardencentre.co.u...alog/info.html

Regds
Paul

Old 04-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Kelvyn Shaw

I use the four fertilisers from gemgardening

1. sulphate of potash (K2O)
2. Nitrate of soda (NaNO3, sodium nitrate)
3. Superphosphate (P2O5, phosphorus pentoxide)
4. Garden Lime (CaO, Calcium Oxide). This when mixed with water becomes
Ca(HO)2 calcium hydroxide, which then combines with CO2 in the water to form
CaCO3 Calcium carbonate which increase my KH and GH.

Ideally I would like some K2SO4 and KNO3 and also micro nutrients without
any iron. But in the UK its impossable.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Martin

Kelvyn,

Unless I am totally wrong - Sulphate of Potash is K20 + S, however, the S is
in the form of Sulphate so what you have is actually K2SO4....

Anyway - I have just found a lab chemical outlet in UK called AvonChem
(based in Macclesfield) - if its any good (and I will check tomorrow) then I
am buying the chemicals direct - it works out at about 5.85 per kg for each
one that I want (KNO3 and K2SO4) - that should be ample for 4 years of
dosing - lol.

I have now got all the maths that I need if anyone else wants it in digest
form let me know and I will post it. Have obtained it from other sites -
hope its all OK.

Martin

Old 06-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Kelvyn Shaw

I called Avonchem today to check if they would sell to private individuals
but they wouldnt. I am thinking about ordering from the USA.

Old 06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Martin

Kelvyn

Avonchem will not sell to individuals as I found out today, well they will
sell to anyone as long as they are VAT registered - which seems stupid to
me! and they have a £100 minimum order.

There is also a company called Scientific and Chemical Supplies Limited -
again no sale to those not VAT registered however, if you have a local
aquarist (like I do) they are VAT registered and they should get it for you
if you give them the details. The costs of KNO3 is £31 approx for 1 Kg which
will last 4 years in a 250L tank. K2SO4 is £26 for 1 Kg.

They are pricey but I later found a company that sold me the chemicals over
the phone using a credit card - just try one or two from a search engine and
Im sure one of them will. The main problem is getting them to deal in small
amounts - S&C Supplies Ltd will do that but only to companies that have a
proper turnover.

They are obviously trying to prevent selling to stupid people that want to
make the odd bomb or two. I mean that literally. I would be cautious about
the USA - I would assume that's the sort of traffic customs are looking for
even though it is legitimate.

Old 06-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Paul Davies

The sulphate of potash you already have is OK. It is potassium sulphate (K2SO4). The reference to K2O is only the way it's analysed.
I've previously posted convenient sources for KNO3, but you'll also need the K2SO4, as the nitrate doesn't give you enough potassium. http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/75g.htm is a good link for the calculations.
You'll probably also need Epsom Salts (MgSO4.7H2O)for the magnesium.
All trace element mixes I'm aware of in the UK contain chelated iron. Not quite sure why you wouldn't want iron.

Paul

Old 07-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Martin

Paul,
I was under the impression that, as I have 100% flourite as the substrate,
then this already has all the iron and trace elements that I may need - it
is fractured clay. I believe the chemistry is OK for trace elements.

Martin

PS. I am actually getting laboratory grade KNO3 and K2SO4 now as I don't
(100%) trust the gardening stuff not to have some nasty trace elements in it
(like pesticides) (it won't go to waste though).

Old 07-05-2003, 04:44 AM
LeighMo

I was under the impression that, as I have 100% flourite as the substrate,
then this already has all the iron and trace elements that I may need

Flourite only provides iron. Which is what laterite provides. The other
traces must be added, whether you use Flourite or laterite. Plus, some plants
don't have much in the way of roots, and draw nutrients through their leaves.
Flourite only feeds the roots.

Leigh

Old 07-05-2003, 10:56 PM
LeighMo

The reason i want trace elements without Iron in them is because i have 100%
flourite gravel.

You still need to add iron.

Flourite only provides iron to plants that are root-feeders. Many aquarium
plants don't have strong root systems and absorb most of their nutrients
throught their leaves.

In addition, some plants need more iron than just Flourite can provide. I
routinely give my swords, crypts, and lotuses root tabs containing iron and
other traces. Even in my 100% Flourite tank.

Leigh