Old 05-05-2003, 04:09 AM
Jim Wunderlich

Default anyone use CO2 with an african setup?

I have a 40 gallon tank running 1 watt per gallon and some low light
plants. i'd like to see more growth with my anubias nana's & barteri's
and java ferns. i'm thinking of doing a DIY 1 liter bottle to add a
little CO2, and connecting it to the air inlet on my powerhead.

anyone do this or have links/suggestions of a similar setup? should i
worry about it affecting the harder water conditions? thanks!

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:56 AM
LeighMo

I have a 40 gallon tank running 1 watt per gallon and some low light
plants. i'd like to see more growth with my anubias nana's & barteri's
and java ferns. i'm thinking of doing a DIY 1 liter bottle to add a
little CO2, and connecting it to the air inlet on my powerhead.

I wouldn't bother. It's not worth it, for that lighting level, with those
plants. And the fish might not like the drop in pH that comes with CO2
injection.

Anubias are slow growers no matter what you do. Java fern will always grow
slowly with only one watt per gallon. Basically, if you want fast growth, you
must provide more light. Your tank is not CO2-limited, it's light-limited.

There's nothing wrong with a low-light tank of slow-growing plants. Saves you
a lot of time on pruning and maintenance!

Leigh

Old 08-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Eric McGlohon

I have a 30g cichlid tank with a 55w CF retrofit from ahsupply
(~2wpg). Currently I'm not dosing CO2, but using Flourish Excell
instead, plus PMDD ingredients (K, traces, and sometimes P). The
plants are mostly slow growers, but all doing really well. I have
2 types of annubias (one flowering!), java fern, bolbitis, water
sprite, rubin sword, and corkscrew val (this one is not doing so
well... growing extremely slow and compact).

Sorry, I don't have any pictures now, but soon I hope. Check out
http://home.intranet.org/~eric/gallery in a few weeks.

I have considered injecting CO2, but since I'm keeping Tanginyikans
(cyprochromis) and I prefer not to dose baking soda to keep the pH
up (they prefer ph in the 9 range... IIRC baking soda will only
get you to around 8.3), so I'm just using crushed coral in the
media chambers of my filter and mixed with my gravel.

But if you're not keeping tangs and can keep a really high KH I
see not reason you couldin't inject CO2. Cichlids are really
hearty, but I'd consider adding an air bubbler during the lights
out period, just to make sure that you don't get into a low oxygen
situation.

Let us know how it goes!

-Eric

Old 08-05-2003, 03:56 PM

I've got a 29g, 55w PCF, Injected CO2, 1.5mg PMDD daily, and 25%WC weekly...
you'd be surprised how fast Anubias can grow...Anachris gets cut down
weekly, Crypts are shooting runners out all over the tank, the Amazon Swords
are getting bigger every month, and it's not even heavily planted... barely
moderately....

For your tank, skip the CO2, like LeighMo said, not enough light....