Old 17-07-2003, 08:44 PM

Default Substrate heating

sorry I didn't elaborate, but what I've read is that the current created by
the substrate heaters in concurrance with turbulence created by HOT filters
negate any postive affect a SH can offer...

is that better? I dont' have any reference for this, just what I've read
over the last 2.5 years or so....

"Christopher" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
is this the rational behind buying a substrate heater?

"BuddyGardner" wrote in message
dont' waste your money....

Can using substrate heating eliminate Anaerobic activity in a

compacted
substrate, through means of convection?

Old 17-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Harry Muscle

wrote in message ...
sorry I didn't elaborate, but what I've read is that the current created

by
the substrate heaters in concurrance with turbulence created by HOT

filters
negate any postive affect a SH can offer...

is that better? I dont' have any reference for this, just what I've read
over the last 2.5 years or so....

Are you saying that a HOT filter defeats having a substrate heater, or that
a HOT filter does the same thing a substrate heater is suposed to?

Harry

Old 17-07-2003, 08:44 PM

sorry I didn't elaborate, but what I've read is that the current created
by
the substrate heaters in concurrance with turbulence created by HOT

filters
negate any postive affect a SH can offer...

is that better? I dont' have any reference for this, just what I've

read
over the last 2.5 years or so....

Are you saying that a HOT filter defeats having a substrate heater, or

that
a HOT filter does the same thing a substrate heater is suposed to?

What I read, was saying that the uplifting currents created by a substrate
heater, has to battle the downstream current put off by a HOT filter... heat
rises, HOT flows down.... the uplifting current is only affective for the
lower 1/3 to 1/4 of the tank, which means, what is pulled out of the gravel,
is put back in the gravel somewhere else...

Old 17-07-2003, 08:44 PM

I only knew of 1 person that had one.. for about a year, until it went out,
then they lost the whole tank due to a huge temp swing... you can't see that
it's not working... you have to feel the tank... atleast on hers it didn't
have an indicator or light that said, I'm working....

"Skunky" wrote in message

Well, I guess that saved me a bit more money!

--
Skunky

'Peace On Earth.....And In The Water'

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old 17-07-2003, 08:44 PM
DWS

Hang On Tank

"Christopher" wrote in message
news
what is a HOT filter?

Old 17-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Harry Muscle

"Skunky" wrote in message

Can using substrate heating eliminate Anaerobic activity in a compacted
substrate, through means of convection?

--
Skunky

'Peace On Earth.....And In The Water'

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Here's a nice article outlining what heating coils are good for.

http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/Shc/index.htm

Enjoy,
Harry

Old 17-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Sam Hopkins

? I wouldn't think there would be enough temp difference to cause
stratification from either. 8' deep ponds in the summer don't even strat.

Old 17-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Christopher

didn't she have a thermometer?

"Skunky" wrote in message

Well, I guess that saved me a bit more money!

--
Skunky

'Peace On Earth.....And In The Water'

News==----

Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption
=---