Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Ross Vandegrift

Default Troy's tank

In article , Troy Bruder wrote:
I'm just having a hard time keeping the plants looking "green"

That's a pretty tell-tale sign of nutrient deficiency - definately start
dosing some fertilizer and you should see a marked improvement rather
quickly.

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.
Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
LeighMo

My Nitrate/phosphate levels are 0 and maybe that is some of the problem...

That is definitely a problem. Nitrate and phosphate should not be zero in a
planted tank.

I bet it will make a world of difference if you add some.

I'm going to purchase all of the "Flourish" products and start dosing
appropriately to see if that helps any..

Their Nitrogen and Phosphorus products are new. I've never used them, but I'd
like to. Haven't seen them for sale yet, though.

Plus I've had a
good number of species die-off over the last 8 months..

Might be a nutrient problem. Fast-growing plants like Hygro can hog all the
nutrients and starve the slower growling plants.

But it might also be that the plants you bought weren't suited for your tank.
A lot of the plants sold for aquariums are in fact bog plants, and will die if
you keep them submerged for too long. Some LFS staff will even tell you that
they're annuals and they're supposed to die -- and you're supposed to buy new
ones regularly, of course!

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Tony K

I found that increasing the iron levels (Fe ~0.3 mg/l ) by using an iron
enriched fertilizer made a huge difference to my plants, turning them from
yellow to rich green in weeks. I wouldn't recommend this without testing for
iron first as too much iron can be harmful to fish.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I sent that message before I intended to. :-P

Anyway, those are pictures of Troy's plants. Looks like Hygrophila and

Anubias
(the one with the big leaves). Rotala, maybe, behind and to the left of

the
Anubias?

He says it's a 27 gallon tank, with a 96 watt PCF light over it. He

injects
CO2:
pH=6.8-7.0; KH = 5.

He doesn't think his plants are thriving, but I dunno. That Hygro's taken

over
the tank! There is a bit of algae on the plant leaves, though.

Troy, you have plenty of light and CO2. If your plants aren't growing

well,
it's probably a nutrient problem. Do you know what your nitrate level is?

In
a high-light CO2-injected tank, it's not unusual to have to add nitrate.

You might take a look at this page, if you haven't seen it:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

BTW, don't worry if your Anubias isn't growing very fast. They never grow
fast. Most people plant them in low-light tanks, or in slightly shaded

parts
of bright tanks. Otherwise, they tend to get algae on their leaves.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:46 PM
Christina Marie Thompson

LeighMo wrote:

I'm going to purchase all of the "Flourish" products and start dosing
appropriately to see if that helps any..

Their Nitrogen and Phosphorus products are new. I've never used them, but I'd
like to. Haven't seen them for sale yet, though.

I've been pricing things on numerous websites to re-start my tanks, and I've found
both of them. Let my look at SplashShopper on my Palm . . . Ah, yes,
BigAlsOnline.com has them both, priced at $3.99 (US) for 250 ml. PetSolutions.com
also has Phosphorous at $5.49, but I didn't see Nitrogen on their website.

--
Though lovers be lost love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion.

Old 17-07-2003, 09:46 PM
LeighMo

I've been pricing things on numerous websites to re-start my tanks, and I've
found
both of them. Let my look at SplashShopper on my Palm . . . Ah, yes,
BigAlsOnline.com has them both, priced at $3.99 (US) for 250 ml.
PetSolutions.com
also has Phosphorous at $5.49, but I didn't see Nitrogen on their website.

Thanks. Big Al's didn't have them when I posted the message. g

I'll probably try them the next time I place an order.

Leigh

Old 18-07-2003, 11:16 AM
news.so-net.com.hk

Ahhhh.....he's one of the gypsies....

He can read Palm.

OOOhhhhhhh

I can see that your anubias is going to die very soon.,.......

CHeerios
Vincent

Troy LeighMo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 09-05-2003 03:56 AM
Troy-Bilt 8654R - replacement bag mark stephens Lawns 0 06-05-2003 05:08 PM
Troy-bilt horse model tiller, Apex $375 Betty Highfill North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 06:46 PM
Troy-Bilt Trimmer/Mower David Whitaker Lawns 0 26-04-2003 11:56 PM
help ID Troy-Bilt tiller please Bruce Gardening 0 16-03-2003 05:44 AM