Old 10-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Vincent

Default Slightly planted tank

Hi,

I have this idea of doing a tank that is so lightly planted that I
only plant carpet plants, then an occasional anubias. Driftwood are
used to scape the tank. Any comments?

Vincent
Old 17-07-2003, 09:43 PM
LeighMo

I have this idea of doing a tank that is so lightly planted that I
only plant carpet plants, then an occasional anubias. Driftwood are
used to scape the tank. Any comments?

Amano has done tanks like this. Inspired by the African Serengeti plains.
They are stunning: just a huge field of Lilaeopsis, with a small arrangement of
rocks or driftwood in the center.

These tanks look amazing, but I have to say, the fish in them never look very
happy. You need fairly bright light to maintain a lawn like that, and with
bright light and no real cover, the fish always seem a bit nervous. In Amano's
photos, the neon tetras and other fish are always huddled close to the lawn,
leaving an awful lot of empty space in the tank, since both plants and fish are
only at the bottom.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Vincent

Hi,

Thanks.

Yeah I understand the fishn will stay very clustered, but are there ant
other fishes that will look good clustered, or are there any other fishes
that will be good to fill in those empty spaces?

Vincent

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 PM
LeighMo

Yeah I understand the fishn will stay very clustered, but are there ant
other fishes that will look good clustered, or are there any other fishes
that will be good to fill in those empty spaces?

Neon tetras look good. They just look kind of nervous. :-)

Here, I scanned in details from Amano's pics:

http://members.aol.com/leighmo/scan2.jpg

http://members.aol.com/leighmo/scan.jpg

Very striking, but probably not ideal from the fishes' POV.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Christopher

very pretty...but looks barren
nothing like only utilizing the bottom 20% of your tank....

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Vincent

Hi,

Actually, the 4 feet tank is primarily used as a partition between the
main living area and the rest area of the house. I thought of using
creepers only tank is becuase of the see-through effect between the 2
areas. However, I don't want to have stressed fishes just because it
look nice in the house.

cheers
Vincent