Old 13-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Doug and Lois

Default Fertilizing question

I have a 29 gallon planted tank. The substrate is aquarium gravel over peat
and some laterite for iron. The pH runs in the 6.5 range and the water is
SOFT SOFT SOFT. For lighting I have two power compact strips. So light is
not really much of a problem. The tank is stocked with small Amazon basin
fish (tetras and the like)

My question relates to fertilizing the plants. I have noticed that some
tend to grow ike weeds (Rotala indica for example) while others are barely
holding on (Amazon swords, and anubias). I have been using one of those
commercial "aquarium plant supplements" one adds to the water. But I have to
admit that I am not all that convinced that this stuff is all that
effective. Is root feeding better and, if so, what do you use? Would Jobe's
plant spikes work or are they full of phosphate? Anyone have any
suggestions?

Doug

Old 13-05-2003, 12:08 PM
LeighMo

For lighting I have two power compact strips.

How much light, in total? If it's two 55W bulbs, then you should be injecting
CO2. Though with that pH, it will be tricky.

I have noticed that some
tend to grow ike weeds (Rotala indica for example) while others are barely
holding on (Amazon swords, and anubias).

The amazon swords may do better with root tabs. Anubias...a lot of people have
trouble keeping them in high-light tanks. They don't compete well against
faster-growing plants.

I have been using one of those
commercial "aquarium plant supplements" one adds to the water.

Which one?

Is root feeding better and, if so, what do you use? Would Jobe's
plant spikes work or are they full of phosphate?

I use Flourish tabs and Jobe's. Jobe's *are* full of phosphate, but in a
high-light tank, you may need to add phosphate.

First off, though, is CO2. All the fertilizer in the world won't make up for
not enough CO2.

Leigh

Old 14-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Tasslehoff

Try adding some CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) from your LFS (bulk is much
cheaper in Aust) to the water at each 10-20% change to raise the gH from
soft-soft-soft to soft-medium-medium(tetras) which is about 100ppm/6dGH ,
and decent quality baking soda (McKenzies in Australia)(NaHCO3-sodium
bicarbonate) to raise the KH and pH. Go easy with the baking soda at each
water change to start off with ie a very small pinch/10 litres(2.64G) and
work your way up from there if necessary adding the CO2 slowly after your KH
is around 4 dKH.
As leigh Mo suggested root tabs do wonders for swords as mine nearly
doubled leaf width and 25% longer leaves after a month after adding a
flourish tab and some Australian brand (Jobes equiv) 'Dinosaur DungÔ'
clayball/N:P:K??) hehe.

"Doug and Lois" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Question about fertilizing Johnny Gardening 3 12-03-2008 03:47 PM
Phal fertilizing question [email protected] Orchids 6 29-06-2006 02:49 PM
Fertilizing Question Brian Gardening 7 12-02-2004 04:21 AM
Fertilizing question for veg garden Gord Edible Gardening 1 21-01-2004 01:37 AM
Fertilizing question Doug and Lois Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 17-07-2003 09:46 PM