Old 15-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Registered User

Location: Worcestershire
Default Discus tank mates?

Has anybody kept Colombian red finned tetras in a planted Discus tank. If so, did they make worthy companions?
__________________
'Peace On Earth.....And In The Water'
Old 16-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Jim Brown

--
Skunky

Yes, I have kept them together. The Colombian red/gold tetras are very
peaceful and easy to maintain. Not too flighty and live in similar water
conditions. I also found them easier to spawn than the discus, but then the
discus weren't yet fully mature..

Jim

Old 16-05-2003, 12:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Worcestershire

Thanx for the reply Jim. One other thing, I find the Tetras are very fast, hearty feeders and now have a liking for frozen Discus food, this is not leaving a lot for the Discus. Did you use a particular feeding regime to over come this

Thanx
__________________
'Peace On Earth.....And In The Water'
Old 16-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Jim Brown

Skunky wrote in message

Thanx for the reply Jim. One other thing, I find the Tetras are very
fast, hearty feeders and now have a liking for frozen Discus food, this
is not leaving a lot for the Discus. Did you use a particular feeding
regime to over come this

Thanx
Skunky

Not really. Try feeding some pellet foods first to sort of fill the tetras,
then feed the prime stuff for the discus and to top up the tetras.

Jim

Old 18-05-2003, 12:56 PM
SteveG

Since this is a planted tank newsgroup, I would also like to point out that
these tetras have a liking to plants as well. They'll nibble at the soft
parts(new shoots) of the leaves.

"Skunky" wrote in message

Thanx for the reply Jim. One other thing, I find the Tetras are very
fast, hearty feeders and now have a liking for frozen Discus food, this
is not leaving a lot for the Discus. Did you use a particular feeding
regime to over come this

Thanx

--
Skunky