Old 17-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Default It seemed like a good idea

A few weeks ago I was walking in the garden and noticed lots of frog eggs
in the pond (it's that time of the year here, also there are lots of baby
goldfish there). I figured that some frog eggs would make a nice snack for
my rainbows and loaches, so I grabbed a few (or so it seemed) and brought
them in. These particular eggs come in long strands of a gooey substance,
kinda like semi-soft jello. The rainbows did in fact go crazy eating the
eggs (so did the SAEs, but the loaches pretty much ignored them). I could
see some eggs left over in the stem plants, but I figured they'd
eventually get eaten, or hatch and then get eaten.
The first problem was the next morning. One of my Melanotaenia praecox was
dead and the other one was dying. I had to euthanize him. My guess is
that they ate too many eggs because no other fish seemed affected.
A couple of days later (it's amazing how fast frog eggs develop in warm
water) there were *dozens* of baby tadpoles all over the tank. I figured
it was ok, they would eventually get eaten and in the meantime they'll
help eat dead plant matter.
Well, they were never eaten and they started growing really fast. They did
a superb job of cleaning all algae from every surface, but that left my
algae eaters without a food supply.
Anyhow, I was watching TV yesterday at I took a peek at the tank. I
noticed an unusual color in my Seachem ammonia detector. It was green
instead of yellow! There was ammonia in my tank!!! Emergency water change
and prunning of old plant matter. Used Prime to neutralize chloramines in
tap water and hopefully some of the ammonia in the tank itself.
I guess the bioload was too much once the tadpoles started growing and my
plants and biobugs were not able to process all the ammonia fast enough.
It never got to toxic levels. Thank goodness for that indicator, I would
not have noticed it otherwise. I managed to fish out about 4 dozen
tadpoles, but there's still quite a few left. I'll start fishing for them
every day, eventually I'll get them all.
So, the moral of the story is: "don't bring frog eggs for snacks, they
won't be eaten and will pollute your water when they hatch".

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 17-05-2003, 01:32 PM
S. Oung

Victor M. Martinez wrote:
[...]

If the eggs were long strands rather than clumps they were toad eggs,
possibly poisonous. Another reason to not collect frog eggs: all
amphibians are under pressure in the wild.

Sebastien
--
remove "deathtospam." to email

Old 17-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Jim Brown

S. Oung wrote in message

Victor M. Martinez wrote:
[...]

Not to mention the possibility of introducing exotic aquarium fish diseases
to the wild when the tadpoles/frogs/toads are released.

Jim

Old 17-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Victor M. Martinez

If the eggs were long strands rather than clumps they were toad eggs,
possibly poisonous. Another reason to not collect frog eggs: all
amphibians are under pressure in the wild.

Yes, toads, that's what we have. I don't know about your neck of the woods,
but here in Central Texas there is quite a large number of these particular
toads. And they were not picked from the wild, it was from my back yard.

Not to mention the possibility of introducing exotic aquarium fish diseases
to the wild when the tadpoles/frogs/toads are released.

They're going to our pond, no possibility of escaping into the wild. The
closest water body is too far away.

Old 18-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Djay

They were probably Kane toads. Leathal to most animals.
Regardless I believe that all toads poison sacs on their head/neck.
If the eggs were in clumps then they are frog eggs - strands then they are
toad eggs.
The eggs/polywogs probably have the poison in their system even tho they are
much smaller.

Djay

Old 18-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Moontanman

They're going to our pond, no possibility of escaping into the wild. The
closest water body is too far away.

Toads are comfortable traveling long distances over land. They live on land,
toads breed in my ponds every year. the tadpoles help cut down the spring time
algae bloom. the eggs and tadpoles are poisonous but most fish will not eat
enough of them ot hurt.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 25-05-2003, 03:20 PM
S. Oung

Djay wrote:
They were probably Kane toads. Leathal to most animals.
Regardless I believe that all toads poison sacs on their head/neck.
If the eggs were in clumps then they are frog eggs - strands then they are
toad eggs.
The eggs/polywogs probably have the poison in their system even tho they are
much smaller.

[snip]

Wait a minute... if those are cane toads (Bufo marinus), exterminate
them! They are a non-native invasive species that destroy native animals.

Sebastien
--
remove "deathtospam." to email