Old 17-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Bob A

Default pH too high (CO2 too low)

First I'll say that SAE's rock! Not only is my tank free of the black algae
(to the dismay of my "all-natural" brother, hehe) but they are, to me, great
fun to watch.

My DIY CO2 has been doing great for the past several weeks, until the past
couple of days. I inject into the intake of my emporer 400 power filter,
and it has been working just fine. Thing is, the co2 seems to be going into
the tank at a nice rate, I can hear it hitting the impeller.

However, I'm normally KH 4 and pH around 6.6. Past couple of days pH is up
to a steady 7.1.

My guess is that, plants are really growing, and I haven't pruned/culled in
a while. It hasn't been *that* long, but the tank is pretty full of plants.
I haven't added ferts for about 5 days until I put in a little this morning.
Is the plant load sucking up the co2?

Any other ideas? This is a 55g tank.

thanks much,

bob

Old 17-05-2003, 04:32 PM
WD

"Bob A" wrote in message

However, I'm normally KH 4 and pH around 6.6. Past couple of days pH is

up
to a steady 7.1.

How long since you recharged your co2 bottles? They may have stopped
producing, they only live for about 10-14 days. How many bottles are you
using? In a 55, no less than 3 two-litre bottles would be needed. I use 2 on
a 45.

billy

Old 18-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Bob A

I use one or two 2L bottles. I have my own yeast method, which can easily
drop the pH from 7.0 to 6.2 if not regulated (that's with a KH of 4). I'm
still perfecting it though. That's with one 2L bottle. It lasts about a
week.

No, like I said, I can hear plentiful bubbles hitting the impeller. I'm out
of sugar though, have to try to get a ride to get some today. I have 2
bottles hooked up at the moment, one 3 days old, the other 5.

thanks,

bob