GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Co2 and how to keep stable pH? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/23861-co2-how-keep-stable-ph.html)

Rodman 19-05-2003 02:54 AM

Co2 and how to keep stable pH?

Hey guys. I just purchased two Hagen CO2 Yeast units for my 40 gallon tank.
I know that introducing CO2 into the tank will cause the pH to lower,
however, is there a way to keep it stable? I know Hagen recommends to use
their pH stabilizer they sell in order to keep the pH stable. Has anyone
had any success with this? I just don't want the pH to swing around
possibly huring my fish. I really don't care though, if I can get a stable
low pH around 6.5-7.0. The fish can get used to that, I just want it to be
stable...

Thanks

Rodman

LeighMo 19-05-2003 02:54 AM

Co2 and how to keep stable pH?

I just don't want the pH to swing around
possibly huring my fish.

A small pH swing won't hurt your fish.

And your pH should be fairly stable if you inject CO2 -- just stable at a lower
number.

Leigh

Rodman 19-05-2003 02:54 AM

Co2 and how to keep stable pH?

Ok. That is good news. I wonder why people keep telling me that my pH will
swing around when putting in CO2. They keep saying I will have to stabilize
it...

But if what you are saying is true, then I won't have to worry about it any
longer. Good news for me.

Rodman

Sherry Michael Weller 19-05-2003 03:32 PM

Co2 and how to keep stable pH?

Get a KH test kit (carbonate hardness). If that's low, inder 3 degrees,
you could have PH swing problems. Especially as your yeast CO2 reactor
changes it's output as it ages.

Most PH stabilizers are usually just baking soda in a bottle. If your KH
is low, you can slowly change it by adding a little baking soda with
your water change water.

--
Sherry Michael Weller
SAS Distributed Desktop Support

Iain Miller 19-05-2003 05:56 PM

Co2 and how to keep stable pH?

"Rodman" wrote in message
Ok. That is good news. I wonder why people keep telling me that my pH

will
swing around when putting in CO2. They keep saying I will have to

stabilize
it...

But if what you are saying is true, then I won't have to worry about it

any
longer. Good news for me.

As others have said a small/slow PH swing won't hurt your fish. A couple of
things to consider though.

The Hagen units will run for 2-3 weeks - I would start one and then wait
7-10 days before you start the other. That way you will need to change one
every week or so and I think you will get a more stable level of CO2/ph in
the tank

Secondly the Ph you get to will be a product of 3 things

a) The Kh of your water
b) The amount of CO2 you put in
c) The amount of CO2 that is dispersed by surface movement/airstones etc. If
you are finding you can't get enough CO2 to stay in the tank its probably
because you have too much surface moevemnt so try reducing this a bit before
you go adding a third canister....

hope that helps

I.

Rodman 19-05-2003 09:44 PM

Co2 and how to keep stable pH?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I will have to get a kit to measure the KH since
I don't know that value. I will for sure stagger the CO2 kits so that I
will always have a steady supply of CO2.

I can't wait to set this thing up. I have never had a planted aquarium
before. Should be tons of fun...

Rodman