GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   question about mom's Java Fern turning black (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/23862-question-about-moms-java-fern-turning-black.html)

SlimFlem 19-05-2003 02:54 AM

question about mom's Java Fern turning black

My mom has a Java Fern in her 29 gallon tank. It's not a planted tank by
any means, it's just a little fish only tank with this plant and some hair
grass stuff from Petsmart.. Over the past 2 weeks, the Java Fern has turned
almost 3/4 black. It's not the normal look when a spot on the leave turns
dark and produces a baby plant...I mean most of the leaves and the steam is
turning black. I assume it's dying, but wanted to check here first.

SlimFlem 19-05-2003 02:54 AM

question about mom's Java Fern turning black

here is a pic of the fern.....it's in the middle of the tank

http://idoneous.net/images/misc/jf_black.jpg

.net...

Tony K 19-05-2003 03:20 AM

SlimFlem wrote:
My mom has a Java Fern in her 29 gallon tank. It's not a planted
tank by any means, it's just a little fish only tank with this plant
and some hair grass stuff from Petsmart.. Over the past 2 weeks, the
Java Fern has turned almost 3/4 black. It's not the normal look when
a spot on the leave turns dark and produces a baby plant...I mean
most of the leaves and the steam is turning black. I assume it's
dying, but wanted to check here first.

From the photo it looks as if the fern has been planted directly into
the gravel, I have always been told you must plant either in a rock
crevice or onto drift wood but never bury the rhizome as it will cause
the plant to rot. It seems to work for me but I have never tried to
plant it like a conventional plant so I'm not sure if the information i
received was correct or not.

The plant looks dead to me :-(