GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   uh oh.. ich on oto! help! (yet another ich question) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/2682-re-uh-oh-ich-oto-help-yet-another-ich-question.html)

Dave M. Picklyk 11-02-2003 07:56 AM

uh oh.. ich on oto! help! (yet another ich question)

Ich is a lot of tiny specs on the fish. If you see a single or a couple
large white spots then it's probably fungus, not ich. This is best left to
the fish's immune system to get rid of. Do not add any chemicals whatsoever.
Fungus on the fish is practically harmless. I've had this on my bronze cory
and I just waited and it slowly went away as the fish's immune system fought
it off.

Dave.

"LM" wrote in message
Hi all,

today, when I was looking at my fish, I found one small white spot on back
of one of my otos... hmm... I'm HOPING it's not ich, but it's likely

that
it is..

Now I know I need to run to the nearest LFS and get some drugs within the
next day or so, but here are my questions that I was hoping to get:

1. which is the best medication on market? are otos sensitive to certain
types of medication? (I assume I need to treat the whole tank anyways)

2. one of my little whiteclouds had an "accident" over the weekend and

has
an injured head (not quite an open wound I don't think, but has injury on
his head... I'll post story on r.a.f.m later if you're interested..).

will
the ich medication hurt it?

3. I have plants that are copper-sensitive... do common medication

contain
copper that I need to be aware of?

4. can I treat it without raising temp? (or is this just for sal****er
treatment?) I have whiteclouds, and they won't like temperatures much

above
78F...

5. after medication, do I need to use carbon to clean it, or some drastic
water changes enough to dilute the medicine? (how toxic is it to fish)

How
do I know that the medication is all filtered out? (will be using
aquaclear200 powerfilter on a 37G)

I have white clouds, gold danios and otos in a very densely planted

tank...
the tank is kept at around 76F.

thanks for any suggestion you can offer!

linda

linda mar 12-02-2003 03:04 AM

uh oh.. ich on oto! help! (yet another ich question)

Hi All,

thank you for all your reply! it seems like it will be best to see if
things get worse or get better for a bit before I start dosing medications.
(and a learned lesson not to freak out with the first sign of any disease
that may or may not be one..)

I will, however, get a bottle of Rid-Ich+ (which seems to be recommended on
many of the google-searched sites) just in case I need to do something.

for now, I'll do some moderate water changes every other day (and vacuum!)
in hopes of diluting any harmful organisms in the tank and hope for the
best..

the "seemingly infected oto" is so far happily eating away, so.. hopefully
that is a good sign.

thank you! you guys are wonderful!

linda