Old 12-02-2003, 02:44 AM
linda mar

Default stem plant "fully submerged vase"

Hi all,

I ended up with too many stem plants to plant in my aquarium (or at least
not until some of the ones planted in the aquarium doesn't survive the
transplant shock).

Since I didn't want to discard it (anacharis, milfoil, lysmachia) since
they're pretty on its own accord, I bought a very tall glass vase (~20in
high, 8in diameter. more like a cylinder than a vase), filled the bottom
with sand, and dumped the plants in there with a drop of Flourish. i also
put the glass vase/tube in a part sunny location near the window. Right now
it gets about 2-3hr direct weak sunlight now through the window (and the
vase), rest of the day is in bright but in the shade since it's winter.
temperature in the room is ~60F most of the time.. pretty chilly. in the
summer, I'll have to move it to less harsh lighting so it won't cook...

I know without fish, there is no real CO2 or nitrogen to feed the plants,
and since there is no bubbler, the oxygen exchange is quite limited.

if I buy something like Flourish Excel to add CO2, and continually add
Flourish, would the plants be okay? Or is this a doomed expedition? I
suppose I can replace the sand with Flourite, but not sure if that really
buys me anything (I have some left over that I can use). has anyone tried
something like this before?

linda

Old 12-02-2003, 02:08 PM
kush

The real problem will be circulation. You can get (most) everything you
need (in the short-term) from water changes and atmospheric exchange but, if
the water isn't circulating, the plant structures will deteriorate
(melt-away).

Old 12-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Dave Millman

linda mar wrote:

Hi all,

I ended up with too many stem plants to plant in my aquarium (or at least
not until some of the ones planted in the aquarium doesn't survive the
transplant shock).

Since I didn't want to discard it (anacharis, milfoil, lysmachia) since
they're pretty on its own accord, I bought a very tall glass vase (~20in
high, 8in diameter. more like a cylinder than a vase), filled the bottom
with sand, and dumped the plants in there with a drop of Flourish.

In the tall thin container you describe, the plants will suck all the CO2 out of
the water, which will drive the pH up. Since the surface area and circulation
are so low, the water will remain low CO2, high pH.

Old 13-02-2003, 11:38 PM
linda mar

hmm.. seems like the only way around it is to get a bubbler or some mode of
CO2 injection (flourish excel)?

or get a flat-wide vase and let the plants float?

linda