Old 07-02-2003, 07:02 AM
Jim Miller

Default CO2 & Surface Agitation Debate-Please Comment!

different tanks, different plumbing yield different results but a good guess
would be 10lb tank would last most of a year if not more. fill at beverage
distributors, fire extinguisher service outlets, welding suppliers. look for
them in the yellow pages.

10lb refill is probably $20 or less on average.

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"Christopher" wrote in message
hlink.net...
where does one purchase C02 to put in a canister? and about how much would
it run for a 125g tank yearly?
"Chuck Gadd" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 13:14:01 -0800, Dave Millman
wrote:

Surface agitation is GOOD: without it, plants will extract the CO2,
driving pH up, particularly in tall tanks. CO2 levels in non-injected

yes.

Maintain enough surface agitation such that fish never gasp at surface.
Pay close attention to fish in the morning before lights come on, as

Just maintain good water circulation. This will increase the amount
of water in contact with the surface air, which increases the O2
level.

If you have PRESSURIZED CO2, a little more surface agitation is not
quite as critical as with DIY, as bottled CO2 is relatively inexpensive.

I agree.

INJECTED TANKS WITH TIGHT COVERS
In this case, outgassing CO2 can accumulate under the cover, displacing
atmospheric O2, which will dramatically lower O2 levels in the water.

Your list looks very complete.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Old 07-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Richmond

where does one purchase C02 to put in a canister? and about how much would
it run for a 125g tank yearly?

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html

Hope this helps

Dominic

Old 07-02-2003, 08:43 PM

WHEW! Did I get it all? Thanks in advance for any corrections/updates.

Well growing plants will send the dissolved O2 levels well above 100%.
Less surface agitation is needed when you grow the plants well.

Although I tried using air stones at night etc, I've never found a
need.
It really is as simple as grow the plants well.... and everything else
will fall into place.

I seek some slight movement on the surface, a surface skimmer is very
nice and no current is needed at the surface with one of these. But
good mid and low level currents in the tank are very condusive to
plant growth in all cases.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 07-02-2003, 11:42 PM
m walczak

So I have situation related to this Agitation topic. I have a 29 g
planted tank with DIY CO2 injection. Initially, when I step up the
tank I was just getting into fish again and did not plan on a planted
tank. Heres my problem:
I can not get my pH below 7.5. I have a UG filter and it agitates the
surface along with my over the back filter. I have gone to the
extremes of adding another bottle. one has an actual fine bubbler
stone and the other has a fairly large bell diffuser. I dose with PMDD
and my other stats are as follows,pH 7.5 KH 6, GH 9,NH2/3 0, NO2 0,
NO3 .15, Fe .10, Phos 0, 3.8 wgp (i defiantly need co2). Any
suggestions on how to lower my pH? MY plants are growing well but I
have a small fuzz or hair algae problem and growing red/ bread algae
problem, that has been ongoing for a couple months now and I think it
may be do to low co2 since there is little or no pearling most of the
time. And I think this low co2 may be from too much surface ag. Any
suggestions on possible solns?
of lower co2 or more importantly the algae...

Old 08-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Dave Millman

" wrote:

Well growing plants will send the dissolved O2 levels well above 100%.
Less surface agitation is needed when you grow the plants well.

Although I tried using air stones at night etc, I've never found a
need.
It really is as simple as grow the plants well.... and everything else
will fall into place.

I seek some slight movement on the surface, a surface skimmer is very
nice and no current is needed at the surface with one of these. But
good mid and low level currents in the tank are very condusive to
plant growth in all cases.

Tom,

Thanks for the comments!