Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Jody

Default co2 DIY slowing down...when to change bottle?

I dissolve the yeast in warm water before adding. I should qualify that I
use 2 cups of sugar initially in a 2 liter bottle, and I'm sure the amount
of sugar present determines how successful the additional yeast will be. If
the bubble rate doesn't increase within a few hours, then it is probably not
going to work for you. It could also depend on the type of yeast used.
What works in one recipe may not work in another, but it's worth a try.

Jody

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
news
Jody, I've taken your advice and added another1/4 teas. of yeast to my
mixture (I first dissolved the yeast in a tad of cold water before adding
it
to the bottle). I've sloshed everything up a bit in the bottle after
replacing the cap to mix it up. I hope that won't slow it down any
temporarily before it starts up again. How does it usually work for you on
the second 'charge'? And how long will it go for again? (I have 2 cups of
sugar in my mixture)

thanx,
Dave.

"Jody" wrote in message
You can't do it indefinitely, but doing a second 'charge' has worked for

me.

Jody

"Jim Miller" wrote in message
iirc the problem is that while producing co2 the other output product

is
ethanol which starts to poison the yeast.

diminishing returns...

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"Jody" wrote in message
Well, you could try adding another 1/4tsp of yeast and see if you can

keep
it going another week or two. I would say 4 weeks is the max you will

ever
be able to get. Depending on the size of your tank, two bottles going

at
once via the T connector might be too much CO2; 26ppm is pretty high
already. You just have to use your best judgement on when to change.

If
you got an initial 0.5 drop in pH for example, and it comes back up

more
than 0.2 or 0.3, you might want to change it or recharge it as

suggested
with more yeast.

Jody

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
My C02 DIY has been running for 9 days now at 26ppm, 7.1ph. Now the

Ph
has
gone up to 7.2, meaning I have about 21ppm of C02. I have an

airstone
attached to the hose so I can't really count the bubbles but I

believe
the
stream has slowed a tad. When should I hook up a new bottle? Or

should
get
one going now and attach a new one with a T connector?

How much should the ph go up and c02 go down before changing? I

don't
any
extreme changes to mess things up.

Dave.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
P&L

I have been running yeast CO2 for years - I have found that its really not
worth the bother to try to nurse a few more days of bubbles out of a dying
batch. Its the same effort just to dump it and mix a fresh one. I use I
packet of yeast started in a inch of lukewarm tapwater. I then fill the 2l
container up 3/4 full with more tapwater (yes - with the chloramine), dump
in a cup of sugar and go. It will run hard for 2 days, less but steady for
another 12 or so, then trail off for another week. I refresh every second
weekend like clockwork as part of standard tank maintenance. The difference
achived with treated water or aquarium water is maybe two days. You're
standing in front of the sink anyway, just use the damn tap.

Feed the output up into the filter siphon (cannister). The filter itself
makes a dead simple and superior reactor.

"Ron Kundla" wrote in message

As long as you have a surviving culture, you can reuse the same yeast
for quite some time before it kinda gives up and you have to start
fresh.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Ron Kundla

Good advice.

I stopped messing with yeast and went to pressurized CO2. No fuss, no
muss and with a DIY in-line external reactor, I am good to go! :-D

Ron

Tomatoes look greatm but fruit-set is slowing down........ Anthony A. Edible Gardening 2 01-08-2005 10:05 PM
FA: DIY CO2 injection system with 5 lb CO2 tank kachunk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 22-11-2004 02:07 PM
No PH change with DIY CO2 Rick Freshwater Aquaria Plants 32 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
No Posts...slowing down animaux Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
No PH change with DIY CO2 Jim Miller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 24 21-02-2003 07:16 PM