Old 12-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Chuck Gadd

Default Check your hoses!!!!!!!

A word of warning for anyone running a wet/dry filter, or possibly any
external filter.

On my wet/dry, I use the large 1" diameter "swimming pool" tubing to
run from my overflow box down to the sump. This seems to be the
standard hose used in that situation. It's the ribbed tubing, in my
case the stuff was blue. Last night I noticed a wet spot on the
carpet next to the tank. I didn't see anything obvious, so I assumed
I just spilled a little bit when doing the water change. This
morning, it was a much bigger wet spot. Turns out that the tubing
had deteriorated, and had a rather large crack in it. There was a
slow but steady drip of water coming from it. When I took the
hose off to inspect it, the tube literally ripped apart in my hands.
If I bent it even a little bit, it would split right open. I
estimate I lost about 10 gallons water. Luckily, it's in the
basement. Unluckily, the basement floor has wall to wall carpet.

The tubing is about 3 years old, so I guess it's just a matter of
checking or changing the tubing every few years.

I'd suggest anyone with any type of external filter carefully inspect
the hoses next time you clean.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 12-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Mike Edwardes

In article ,
Chuck Gadd wrote:

A word of warning for anyone running a wet/dry filter, or possibly any
external filter.

SNIP TALE OF WOE

The tubing is about 3 years old, so I guess it's just a matter of
checking or changing the tubing every few years.
I'd suggest anyone with any type of external filter carefully inspect
the hoses next time you clean.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Or, if you're as paranoid as me, you run tank-top trickle filters so
that when, not if, they leak, the water runs back into the tank:
http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/filter.html

Hope your wife is as understanding as mine is about wet carpets Chuck!

Mike.
--
Mike Edwardes Tropicals
http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net

Old 13-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Trygve Lillefosse

On my wet/dry, I use the large 1" diameter "swimming pool" tubing to
run from my overflow box down to the sump. This seems to be the
standard hose used in that situation. It's the ribbed tubing, in my

Thought the standard was pvc pipes or smooth pvc-tubes (like the ones
used for canister filters).

SEE YA !!!

Malawi, The Fisher King - Ruler Of The World
Conquering the world for YOU since 1972.
Remove nospam to mail me.

Old 14-02-2003, 02:07 AM
Bruce Geist

Yeeicks! I hope your basement carpet is no worse for the wear.

I once had some fluval tubing loose its "grip" around the filter fitting it
was supposed to attach to. Fortunately, I was in the room at the time..

-Bruce

Old 14-02-2003, 05:33 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:59:17 +0100, Trygve Lillefosse
wrote:
Thought the standard was pvc pipes or smooth pvc-tubes (like the ones
used for canister filters).

The marineland overflow box I bought came with the same sort of tubing
I was using.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 14-02-2003, 05:33 AM
Chuck Gadd

wrote:
Thought the standard was pvc pipes or smooth pvc-tubes (like the ones
used for canister filters).

The marineland overflow box I bought came with the same sort of tubing
I was using.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] United Kingdom 0 22-04-2005 05:07 AM
Soaker Hoses Charles Gardening 8 31-07-2003 07:02 AM
Can You Bury Drip-Line Hoses? Fleemo Gardening 12 04-06-2003 10:08 AM
Check your hoses!!!!!!! Chuck Gadd Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:56 AM
Different Drip Rates in Soaker Hoses? Fleemo Gardening 3 28-03-2003 11:56 PM