Old 13-02-2003, 06:22 AM
B.

Default Water Change?

In a planted tank, exactly what percentage of water should be changed every
week? Some say 10%, 25% i have even heard up to as much as 40%. I
currently do 10% of my tank once a week, but i was wondering...Is that
enough? If someone has an answer for me please let me know and the reasons
behind that amount. ?Thank you.

Old 13-02-2003, 10:36 AM
Iain Miller

"B." wrote in message
In a planted tank, exactly what percentage of water should be changed

every
week? Some say 10%, 25% i have even heard up to as much as 40%. I
currently do 10% of my tank once a week, but i was wondering...Is that
enough? If someone has an answer for me please let me know and the

reasons
behind that amount. ?Thank you.

Is your tank healthy & are your Nitrates under control? If the answer is yes
then don't worry about it!

I think the answer to that question varies depending on what you are trying
to achieve & what's in your tank (i.e. how heavily loaded it is). My answer
would be anywhere between the 10 & 40% depending on what's in there.

At the extremes there are those that hardly ever change water - indeed there
is a product out there (Easy Balance) that's supposed to ensure you only
have to do a water change every 3-6 months (sounds dodgy to me!). There are
also people who keep lots of Discus in bare tanks who change 100% of the
water every day (!)

Old 13-02-2003, 10:56 PM

"B." wrote in message . ..
In a planted tank, exactly what percentage of water should be changed every
week? Some say 10%, 25% i have even heard up to as much as 40%. I
currently do 10% of my tank once a week, but i was wondering...Is that
enough? If someone has an answer for me please let me know and the reasons
behind that amount. ?Thank you.

I do 50% weekly.
It takes the same amount of time almost to do 20% vs 50%.

I do it to keep any nutrients from building up too high and dosing
2-3times a week to prevent anything from getting too low.

In this manner I am able to easily maintain excellent nutrient
ranges(all of the nutrients) for my plants.
The tank is kept clean and the water optically clearer.

I've been doing this for many years. I have not use medications in
over 15 years. Fish are very happy and so are the plants.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 14-02-2003, 06:13 PM

Hello,

Change what is needed. Test for you nitrate content. Water changes are
needed to remove excess nitrates that the plants doesn't use. Too much
nitrates stress the fish and creates unwanted algae.

If you bioload is low, u may not have to change the water as much as
someone's whose bioload is large. Less amonia = less nitrate. Always keep
your test kits handy. You can then determine how much water change is
needed.

Regards,
George