Old 11-02-2003, 05:13 AM
WD

Default swords and emersed leaves.....

I understand that many aquatic plants are grown out of water, and these
leaves will die, being replaced with new. I recently bought 3 large amazon
swords, and the leaves are yellowing. At what point should I worry? What can
I do to ensure their survival?
75 US gallon
20 gallon sump, standard overflow
40x4 flourescent, timed, 11 or so hours per day
heavy fish load (barbs, tetras, loaches)
moderately planted, java fern, java moss,anubias, anacharis, amazon swords.
Using seachem florish, seachem trace according to package directions.
ph 7.1-7.2
temp 78f
nitrite0
ammonia 0
nitrate 80ppm+

Yeah, I did each test as I wrote this. The nitrate results surprised,
shocked, and horrified me. Water change scheduled. Like 10 minutes from
now.g

tia

Billy

Old 12-02-2003, 01:47 AM
Bob Alston

Looks like your sword is flowering. Great fun for you. Watch for the stalk
end getting too close to the light - especially if you use CFs or Medal
Halide (e.g. HOT) lights. I ultimately opened up the glass cover, jury
rigges one of the strip lights to still be on top of that. The bloom stalk
on mine branched at the water line. Then some of the branches branched
also. I got about 4 nice plants before I gave away the mother plant. I
found that pushing the stem with plant back to the water level seemed to
enhance the root growth although those growing in the air also put out
roots.

My sword took over more than 1/2 my 55 gal and had huge leaves - 18 inches
long and 4 inches wide - when it bloomed. How large is yours?

Bob
"WD" wrote in message

"Bob Alston" wrote in message
My swords like iron at their roots. I use Root Tabs plus Iron,

available
at
many LFS. I notice a big improvement from doing just this, along with 3
watts per gallon light. One sword plant bloomed recently in my 55

gallon
tank!

Agree with prior post, if new leaves are coming in and look right, then
don't worry. If new leaves and old ones look the same (shape) but the

older
ones are yellow, suggest the iron. Anyway, you can't hurt by adding the
iron root tabs.

Bob

Put in root tabs when I planted them. All my plants are doing well,
(excepting an unidentified reddish plant with narrow leaves, it was given

me, and has never thrived.)
1 of the 3 swords has shot up a long stem, and it seems to be producing
small leaves at the nodes, which appear healthy.
Thanks for the input.

Old 12-02-2003, 06:18 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

I had the same thing start to happen to my red rubin swords. LeighMo
suggested, like you said, that the leaves that come with the plant have been
grown out of the water and to cut the yellow and dying ones off. I then had
different shaped new leaves pop out of the plant. The new submerged leaves
will indeed be a different shape and more fragile.

It is also a good idea to use root tabs or jobe's fern spikes