Old 15-02-2003, 04:55 AM
Zach

Default What am I forgetting?

Hello all,

I have now maintained my 29g planted tank for a little over a year and am
ready to take the leap to a larger tank. Since this is my first foray into
a borderline large tank, I am curious if I am forgetting anything.

I will be setting up a 75g fairly heavily planted tank. This is what I am
currently thinking of getting. Any thoughts or recommendations would be
appreciated.

-AH supply 4 x 55 watt power compact light kit and one of their finished
enclosures, I doubt that I am crafty enough to build one.

-One of Dave Gomberg's CO2 setups.

-Eheim professional canister filters - either the 2026 or the 2028, not
certain which would be best.

-Not sure what I should use as a substrate. I have read a fairly good chunk
of the archives, but their doesn't seem to be a consensus.

- Thermometer and heaters (I was thinking 2 x 250 watt would be appropriate?

Thanks for any recommendations you might make,

Zach

Old 15-02-2003, 05:04 AM
daniel godwin

Seriously, it's not that hard to make your own enclosure. I did, and I'm
really not that handy with wood (or anything for that matter.) I used a
hand saw to cut the wood, screws and glue to put it all together and stain
and eurthane to protect it. Mine wasn't even square on the insides, but it
worked after a little adjustment and looks ok.
I really think you can do it, especially if you can handle setting up and
maintaining any planted aquarium. The only advantage to the premade one is
that it's done all ready (duh) and it *might* look a little nicer than
yours. If you have a spetacular looking tank, people won't notice if your
top isn't square, or that you accidently mismeasured, so you had to reglue a
piece of wood for the top (as I did)

Daniel

ps: I use flourite and gravel mixed for my substrate.

Old 15-02-2003, 05:09 AM
Zach

I was thinking about getting the free DIY enclosure plans from AH when I got
the lights, and then ordering the enclosure if needed. I don't know which
concerns me more, trying to make an enclosure or trying to wore the
lights...hmmm...I have to have an electrician friend somewhere.

Thanks for the reply,

Zach
t...

Old 15-02-2003, 05:28 AM
Eric Schreiber

"Zach" wrote:

I don't know which concerns me more, trying to make an enclosure
or trying to wore the lights...hmmm...I have to have an electrician
friend somewhere.

I just bought a lighting kit from AH, and it includes a basic wiring
plan, as well as an advanced one for retrofit installations. The plans
are pretty straightforward, and clearly designed with the
non-electrician in mind. So long as you're careful, you shouldn't have
any problem wiring the setup.

Not sure what I should use as a substrate. I have read a fairly good
chunk of the archives, but their doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Seachem Flourite is an excellent substrate for a planted tank, but I
don't envy you the price tag of enough to cover the bottom of the size
tank you're talking about.

Thermometer and heaters (I was thinking 2 x 250 watt would be
appropriate?

I don't know about sizes, but get Ebo-Jager brand on the heaters. I
wish I had done that initially. I bought a Jalli submersible titanium
heater, which had the really nice feature of the temperature control
being outside the tank, but the stupid thing died less than two months
after I got it.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 15-02-2003, 05:36 AM
Jim Miller

seachem also makes a gray substrate, onyx sand, that i'm switching to from
flourite. i found the flourite a bit brassy after having it for a few
months. a lfs has tanks with onyx, flourite, "normal" sand, something
black... i found the onyx sand a pleasantly neutral color which let the
plants and fish show their stuff best. others have recommended it as easier
to plant due to its finer granules.

good luck

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies

Old 15-02-2003, 12:00 PM
LeighMo

-One of Dave Gomberg's CO2 setups.

Get the needle valve, too. Makes life easier.

-Eheim professional canister filters - either the 2026 or the 2028, not
certain which would be best.

I've got the 2028 on my 75 gallon tank, and I like it. Enough circulation, but
not too much. (Definitely avoid the thermofilters -- the ones with built-in
heaters.)

-Not sure what I should use as a substrate. I have read a fairly good chunk
of the archives, but their doesn't seem to be a consensus.

If you can afford it, I would get either Onyx or Flourite (depending on which
color you prefer). It's pricy, but it's worth it. It will last forever, and
make it so much easier to plant and replant.

- Thermometer and heaters (I was thinking 2 x 250 watt would be appropriate?

You might want to step that back a bit. I bought two 250 watt heaters because
the tank is right in front of a very drafty window. I live in the northeast,
and it gets extremely cold in the winter.

But I ended up using only one heater, and even set at 79, it almost never goes
on. The lights provide a hell of lot of heat. And the tank is so large, the
sheer volume of the water makes a hell of a heat sink. Unlike a small tank,
very little heat is lost overnight. In the morning, the tank water is still
warm as bathwater. It was in the single digits last night, I'm freezing...but
the tank is 82 degrees, and the heater never came on. In contrast, in my 29
gallon tank, which is in the warmest part of the house, nowhere near a window,
has its heaters on regularly, day and night.

Leigh

Old 17-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Dave Millman

LeighMo wrote:

- Thermometer and heaters (I was thinking 2 x 250 watt would be appropriate?

You might want to step that back a bit. I bought two 250 watt heaters because
the tank is right in front of a very drafty window. I live in the northeast,
and it gets extremely cold in the winter.

But I ended up using only one heater, and even set at 79, it almost never goes
on.

Leigh is right. On my 72 I have 2x150watts, and on the coldest nights, when the
lights are out, they each are on less tahn 50% of the time. The advantage of two is
that if one fails either on or off, it doesn't kill the fish.

Old 17-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Jim Miller

if you're going to look at flourite also take a look at onyx sand also made
by seachem.

i liked flourite at first but the orangy/brown is starting to wear on me. i
went down to a lfs the other day and saw a lot of tanks one of which had
onyx sand in it and i liked it a lot. it's like a dark slate grey color and
plants and fish look nice against it regardless of their color.

nice fine grain for ease of planting.

good luck

jtm

--