Old 15-02-2003, 05:08 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Default C. japonica with eggs!

I just noticed one of my C. japonica (aka Amano shrimp) is loaded with
eggs!!! I guess she's happy...
I'm not interested in breeding, but wouldn't mind helping some of them
reach maturity. Is there anything I can do? It's a 110 gallon tank, medium
to heavily planted (depends on your point of view), low tech, well
stocked. What do baby C. japonica eat?

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 15-02-2003, 05:41 AM
Cannibul

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:08:11 -0600, "Victor M. Martinez"
wrote:

I just noticed one of my C. japonica (aka Amano shrimp) is loaded with
eggs!!! I guess she's happy...
I'm not interested in breeding, but wouldn't mind helping some of them
reach maturity. Is there anything I can do? It's a 110 gallon tank, medium
to heavily planted (depends on your point of view), low tech, well
stocked. What do baby C. japonica eat?

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Good luck. They are easy to breed and get the eggs but after that it
gets pretty tough. But the fish will love them........to death.

Old 15-02-2003, 07:21 AM
Wilma Duncan

Victor, see my web site in the article section on how to breed and raise
these shrimp.
Wilma
http://www.jayscustomcomputers.com/wilma/

Old 15-02-2003, 11:47 AM
LeighMo

What they need most is a place to hide from other residents of the tank. Leave
the detritus in the tank; don't vacuum it out. The baby shrimp will likely
hide in it, and feed off of it. Also, put a bunch of java moss in the tank.
Again, the baby shrimp will hide in it and eat it.

Leigh

Old 15-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Victor M. Martinez

LeighMo wrote:
What they need most is a place to hide from other residents of the tank. Leave
the detritus in the tank; don't vacuum it out. The baby shrimp will likely

I don't vacuum anymore... The only detritus I take out is what accumulates
in the pre-filter.

hide in it, and feed off of it. Also, put a bunch of java moss in the tank.
Again, the baby shrimp will hide in it and eat it.

Awesome, I'll do that. I have some sitting in a jar in quarantine by the
window. Does anybody have a website with descriptions of how long they take
to hatch, etc.? I used to have a good URL, but I can't find it.

Old 16-02-2003, 09:26 PM
Aquatic-store.com

The fry are hard to raise from what I have read. I have NEVER
successfully raised them after tons of broods of eggs. Email me and I
will see If I can find the link to the one site I found that someone
sucessfully raised them.

Marcus

Http://www.Aquatic-store.com
for your planted tank needs

Old 17-02-2003, 03:46 AM
Dave Millman

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote:

I just noticed one of my C. japonica (aka Amano shrimp) is loaded with
eggs!!! I guess she's happy...
I'm not interested in breeding, but wouldn't mind helping some of them
reach maturity. Is there anything I can do? It's a 110 gallon tank, medium
to heavily planted (depends on your point of view), low tech, well
stocked. What do baby C. japonica eat?

As other posters have said, it aint easy cause fish love them. But I have
found 10 or more 6mm/1/4 inch specimens in filters. If they can stay away from
the fish and find stuff to eat, maybe they'll grow.

Old 17-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Dave Millman

Here's a link to some breeding information:

http://users.skynet.be/caridina-japonica/

Old 17-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Dave Millman