Old 15-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Aqua

Default Am I going to kill All my Fishes?

Mine is 55Gal heavily planted tank. When I was on vacation (one month) I
left my tank without maintenance and I got lot of algae in my tank. At that
time I removed ,my Driftwood from tank for cleaning purpose. But I left it
my garage in a bucket full of water. This drift wood has some kind of algae
that I am not able to remove it with a nylon a brush. This algae is like
small fans (max 1cm) or small clumps (more of a black color).

Today I wanted to place that drift wood back into my tank so I added a cup
of "Clorox" in that bucket. I will wash the driftwood again with plenty of
water. But when I put it back will it leach "chlorine" and kill all my
fishes?

--
Thank You

Dominic

Old 16-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Marty

After soaking your driftwood in Clorox, rinse it, then soak it in regular
tap water with a dechlorinator, then rinse it again. I've done this with
airstones - works well.

Old 16-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Tedd

"Aqua" wrote in message
Mine is 55Gal heavily planted tank. When I was on vacation (one month) I
left my tank without maintenance and I got lot of algae in my tank. At

that
time I removed ,my Driftwood from tank for cleaning purpose. But I left it
my garage in a bucket full of water. This drift wood has some kind of

algae
that I am not able to remove it with a nylon a brush. This algae is like
small fans (max 1cm) or small clumps (more of a black color).

Today I wanted to place that drift wood back into my tank so I added a cup
of "Clorox" in that bucket. I will wash the driftwood again with plenty of
water. But when I put it back will it leach "chlorine" and kill all my
fishes?

--
Thank You

Dominic

soak and rinse it with water that has been heavily treated with
declorinator. from my understanding that is the best way to nullify the
bleach remnants.

tedd.
(always subject to correction)

Old 16-02-2003, 12:44 PM
LeighMo

Today I wanted to place that drift wood back into my tank so I added a cup
of "Clorox" in that bucket. I will wash the driftwood again with plenty of
water. But when I put it back will it leach "chlorine" and kill all my
fishes?

Soak it in water and dechlorinator until you can't smell the bleach any more.
(Maybe ask someone else if they can smell it, since if you're working with
bleach too long, you can't smell it any more.) Don't put it in the tank until
all the bleach smell is gone. Then add dechlor to the tank when you put the
driftwood in, just in case.

Another option would be put the driftwood out in the sun until it no longer
smells like bleach. The sun will break down the chlorine, too.

Leigh

Old 22-02-2003, 08:00 AM
Empty

"Tedd" wrote in :

soak and rinse it with water that has been heavily treated with
declorinator. from my understanding that is the best way to nullify the
bleach remnants.

Absolutely, since bleach *is* clorine

~Empty

--
'You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it
kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other