GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant Newbie Advice Needed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/2800-plant-newbie-advice-needed.html)

Frank Mamone 18-02-2003 02:39 PM

Plant Newbie Advice Needed

I just started my first planted tank. I have a standard Hagen 25W kit with
the standard 24 inch Aqua-Glo fluorescent.

My PH is 7.6 and need to lower it for the fish anyways.

I am debating whether to add CO2? What do you think? I know about the DYI
ones but looking at the Hagen Plant-Gro :

http://www.mops.on.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCa....asp?E+scstore

I'm also wondering if I can use this unit as reactor or use my own mixture.

Thanks,

Frank

Dave Millman 18-02-2003 06:45 PM

Plant Newbie Advice Needed

Frank Mamone wrote:

I just started my first planted tank. I have a standard Hagen 25W kit with
the standard 24 inch Aqua-Glo fluorescent.

My PH is 7.6 and need to lower it for the fish anyways.

I am debating whether to add CO2? What do you think? I know about the DYI
ones but looking at the Hagen Plant-Gro :

http://www.mops.on.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCa....asp?E+scstore

I'm also wondering if I can use this unit as reactor or use my own mixture.

It is a DIY system in a prety box. The "activator" is yeast and the
"stabilizer" is baking soda. You supply your own sugar.

Having said this, I personally know two long-time aquarists (both 10 years +)
who love this system because of the hypnotic action of the bubbles rising up
the reactor. One bought the whole kit, one bought the reactor only, both mix up
their own yeast instead of purchasing expen$ive refill$.

Aquatic-store.com 26-02-2003 02:49 PM

Plant Newbie Advice Needed

Co2 will help lower your PH as well as help out your plants. Just
keep in mind a yeast syetem must be restarted every 2 - 3 weeks and a
canister system (i.e 20 lb tank) can go years without a refill.

Marcus

http://www.Aquatic-store.com

kush 26-02-2003 04:21 PM

Plant Newbie Advice Needed

Frank Mamone wrote ...

Where does one refill those things?

Liquor stores. It's the same tank restaurants and bars use for carbonated
beverages.

Aqua 26-02-2003 10:51 PM

Plant Newbie Advice Needed

Years! Wow was not aware of that. I assume your talking about the
pressurized systems. Where does one refill those things? or do you have to
get a new one every time?

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html
--
Thank You