Old 18-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Christopher Beeckler

Default 75 or 90 for planted?

you might want to think about acryllic tanks for this size, it will make
them far lighter, and the rounded edges look nice
"Dustin" wrote in message
Thanks for the input you two

I bought a 125 gallon today on sale at the lfs, I got a better discount
since I am friends with the manager, 599.00 Im guessing that is a good
price

Any suggestions for lighting this for plant growth?
Thanks!
"Bruce Geist" wrote in message
I have a 135 gallon tank that is 24 inches high. Leigh, as usual, gives
excellent adivce. She (I hope you are a she Leigh-- if not then I
appologise in advance..) is right about the light, though I find that

even
though its tougher to light the bottom of the tank, 25 inches is not
insurmoutable-- especially if you are going to terrace. In addition, I
personally think that less than 24 inches looks a little funny with a
canopy. You may (or may not) choose to place a canopy over the top of

the
tank-- but assess how you think it may look with the shallower tank in

the
event you do want a canopy. Keep in mind also that there may be plants

that
you want to keep that get tall. It may be nice to have certain sections

of
the tank that are deeper than others. Just keep in mind that you may

have
trouble with high light plants in the deep areas.

Certainly the "long arms" issue is real also. If you are a small

person,
then you may want to avoid buying a tank that is too deep for you to

reach
into. I know my wife would have a hard time reaching the bottom of my

135
gallon tank. I do not have a problem with this depth-- though any

deeper
would become a hassel.

In summay, my cutoff would be about 24 inches-- not 21 inches. 25

inches
may be problematic, but its worthy of careful consideration.

For what its worth, that is my 2 cents. -Bruce Geist

LeighMo wrote in message
Id like a 75 or 90 from all-glass. Which of these is better for the

planted
aquarium in yoru optinion, and where is the best tank for my buck?

any
mail
orders, or something to that effect?

Ordinarily, bigger is better, but for a planted tank, I'd go with the

75
gallon.
The 90 and the 75 have the same "footprint." The only difference is

the
75 is
21" high, and the 90 is just over 25" high. A planted tank deeper

than
24" can
be difficult. That depth is hard to light adequately. (You wouldn't

think
only a few inches would make a difference, but it does, because light

intensity
falls exponentially with distance.)

A planted tank also requires constant maintenance, and if the tank is

that
deep, it will be difficult (unless you have really long arms!). I've

heard of
people who accidentally poisoned all their fish, because they reached

into
deep tank without showering first, and their underarm deodorant got

into
the
tank.

As for price...mail order for a tank this size is not economical. The

shipping
will kill you. Your best bet is probably to order it from a chain

like
PetCo.
The big chains use tanks as "loss leaders," selling them at a loss in

hopes
that they'll make it up by selling you fish, accessories, etc. Call

around
your LFSs and ask, but IME, the small local shops will all charge

hundreds
of
dollars more than the big chains. The local shops around here all

wanted
$700
to $800 for an All-Glass 75 gallon economy tank and stand. PetCo

asked
$325
for tank, stand, and glass canopy top.

Leigh

Old 18-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Christopher Beeckler

LeighMo wrote in message
[...]

Optimum light period for planted and non-planted tanks..? Phil Williamson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 02-06-2004 09:12 PM
FW Planted tank snail control. coigula Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 16-11-2003 09:02 PM
Planted beans today Mceezee Gardening 4 27-03-2003 10:08 PM
Ottos in Planted tanks 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 24-03-2003 09:32 PM
Cost per gallon for a planted tank? 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 24-03-2003 07:32 PM