Old 20-02-2003, 12:31 AM
PérRµ§h

Default algae, spectrum, light

Hi,

I was looking up some info about lighting in aquaria, the grow of
plants and the formation of algae.

In this search I came across an interresting, and for me new, fact.

In short it says :
"Algae use the blue side of the spectrum while plants can also grow
healthy on the red side only"

So excluding the blue side can / should reduce the growth of algae !!

This was stunning to me because special lamps for plants have both
blue AND red spectra in them.

I use the following picture for further explanation :
http://users.pandora.be/worldofbudgerigars/!spectrum1.jpg

legend :
A) TL - warm white (normal TL)

E) TL - GroLux (special lamp for plants)

I) daylight (sun)

J) spectrum used by plants for fotosynthese

What do we see ?

J is the spectrum which plants should need, so they made the lamp E
(almost identical spectrum)

But now I read that algae use mostly / only the blue side while plants
don't really need the blue side and can live with the red side alone.

So this means that a normal TL (A) should be a far better choice.

Now I can understand why sunlight (J) is so bad to our aquarium in
regard to algae growth (see how much blue there is in sunlight !)

now MY QUESTION :
Is there any scientific source (link / book) which deals with the
fact the algae use basically blue and plants need only red ?

I don't believe everything I read ;-)

TIA

PérRµ§h

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old 20-02-2003, 04:35 AM
LeighMo

Is there any scientific source (link / book) which deals with the
fact the algae use basically blue and plants need only red ?

I don't believe everything I read ;-)

Very smart of you. :-)

I've also heard that "blue light causes algae" thing, and there may be
something to it. But a lot of people grow plants under blueish lights (like
those 50% actinic SmartLites) just fine. I'm skeptical about the idea that you
can control algae just by light spectrum.

But if there is any solid info, I'd be interested in seeing it, too.

Leigh

Old 20-02-2003, 05:12 AM
Christopher

some of the lights in stores say "promotes invertebrate growth" if we have
crabs/crayfish/shrimp do we need a special spectrum? would denying as much
blue light as possible to the tank hurt them? Also, exactly how does the
mostly red light look, if it gives a weird "satan tank" look to the thing
then I'd rather have algae :-P

(sorry for top posting but I find it easier to read since i don't have to
scroll through 5 pages of text I've already read to get to the new stuff)

Old 20-02-2003, 05:34 AM
LeighMo

some of the lights in stores say "promotes invertebrate growth" if we have
crabs/crayfish/shrimp do we need a special spectrum?

I would assume they were talking about corals.

Also, exactly how does the
mostly red light look, if it gives a weird "satan tank" look to the thing
then I'd rather have algae :-P

LOL! There is that....

Leigh

Old 20-02-2003, 11:01 AM
PérRµ§h

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 04:12:52 GMT, in rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
"Christopher" verruimde onze geest met:

Also, exactly how does the
mostly red light look, if it gives a weird "satan tank" look to the thing
then I'd rather have algae :-P

**
mostly you don't see any difference at all.

(sorry for top posting but I find it easier to read since i don't have to
scroll through 5 pages of text I've already read to get to the new stuff)

**
If you cut away the lines which aren't usefull anymore and only leave
those whom you're replying to, you don't get 5 pages ...

PérRµ§h

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old 20-02-2003, 11:01 AM
PérRµ§h

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 04:12:52 GMT, in rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
"Christopher" verruimde onze geest met:

Also, exactly how does the
mostly red light look, if it gives a weird "satan tank" look to the thing
then I'd rather have algae :-P

**
mostly you don't see any difference at all.

(sorry for top posting but I find it easier to read since i don't have to
scroll through 5 pages of text I've already read to get to the new stuff)

**
If you cut away the lines which aren't usefull anymore and only leave
those whom you're replying to, you don't get 5 pages ...

PérRµ§h

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old 20-02-2003, 12:36 PM
LeighMo

Then I went to the www and found the red - blue story on several
sites.

But those sites often take info from each other. It's really easy to spread
false info on the net, I'm afraid.

I've never seen any actual research on this, just anecdotal claims. Which I'm
not discounting, mind, but some solid proof would be nice.

Personally, I don't worry about spectrum. I choose lights that are appealing
to my eye, and make my fish and plants look good.

Leigh