Old 22-02-2003, 05:51 AM
Laura

Default Thank you both!!!

Thank you Leigh and Eric for answering my post. Phew!! I feel much
relieved.

I'll go with the eclipse and the low light plants for now and see where
that takes me. There's room for another tank if I really get into it
grin. I think I see an empty space in the living room...

Thank you Leigh for the extra tips on the plants! There is still much to
learn. I will definitely check out the wendtii.

And thank you Eric for clearing up my concerns on the betta community,
filtration, retrofit, water quality, etc. (I forgot about the heater!).
You make it sound much easier than I thought. It seems that your posts
complemented each other very well.

The Eco Complete sounds intriguing, but I think I'll be boring and stay
with the flourite. Black would be kinda neat tho. And I guess I wouldn't
have to wait a month for the tank to cycle. I figured I'd take some of
the water, or the bit of gravel and the plastic plant out of the betta
bowl and throw it in the eclipse to see if that would help any. It seems
kinda cruel to use fish...

I can't wait to get started! (The tank has been sitting in the box for
about a week!)

Old 22-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Eric Schreiber

Laura wrote:

I'll go with the eclipse and the low light plants for now and see where
that takes me. There's room for another tank if I really get into it
grin. I think I see an empty space in the living room...

That's the attitude - No tank is ever wasted! In fact, I find myself
wishing I had a spare five or ten gallon right now, for my apple
snails. My wife caught me plotting, and so I was forced to put them
into a one gallon container. For the time being. I'll have to work on
persuading her some more.

Thank you Leigh for the extra tips on the plants! There is still much to
learn. I will definitely check out the wendtii.

Leigh is an expert with plants. Read all of Leighs posts, and you'll
learn loads of good stuff.

And thank you Eric for clearing up my concerns on the betta community,

My pleasure. Just went through it all myself, so I understand your
concerns.

The Eco Complete sounds intriguing, but I think I'll be boring and stay
with the flourite. Black would be kinda neat tho.

The only problem I saw with the Eco Complete, or whatever it's
actually called, is the price. I found it in a LFS for $35 a bag.
Youch. Nice looking, though.

You won't be disappointed with the Flourite, I think. It's a nice
looking gravel too.

I figured I'd take some of the water, or the bit of gravel and the
plastic plant out of the betta bowl and throw it in the eclipse to
see if that would help any.

It will help. Especially if you transplant a lot of gravel from the
established tank.

I can't wait to get started! (The tank has been sitting in the
box for about a week!)

Welcome aboard!

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 22-02-2003, 12:22 PM
LeighMo

Thank you Leigh for the extra tips on the plants! There is still much to
learn. I will definitely check out the wendtii.

It comes in a variety of colors, including a nice red -- the only red plant I
know of that does well in low light.

The Eco Complete sounds intriguing, but I think I'll be boring and stay
with the flourite. Black would be kinda neat tho.

If you prefer black to brown, consider Seachem Onyx Sand instead of Flourite.
It's not exactly black; more of a dark gray. Both are very attractive; I like
them both. Flourite is more natural-looking. Onyx provides a better contrast
to the fish. (At least if you have reddish fish, like I do. :-)

Leigh