Old 22-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Greg Dalton

Default water testing

I read alot about KH and Gh on here....I've also seen the chart relating
it all to PH.

I have a Ph test kit, But I'm not sure I'm operating at optimum
conditions...

Can someone tell me What my goals should be(Numerical values) and how to
obtain this info and with what product??

BTW, CO2 fed....

Old 22-02-2003, 12:03 PM
LeighMo

I read alot about KH and Gh on here....I've also seen the chart relating
it all to PH.

I have a Ph test kit, But I'm not sure I'm operating at optimum
conditions...

Can someone tell me What my goals should be(Numerical values) and how to
obtain this info and with what product??

I wouldn't bother trying to adjust pH or KH. It's not worth the hassle.
Plants and fish aren't that delicate (unless you're trying to breed wild-caught
discus or something).

Your KH tells you what pH you should aim for (via CO2 injection). See this
article and chart:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

If your tank is not CO2-injected, I wouldn't worry about pH, KH, and GH at all.

Leigh

Old 22-02-2003, 05:28 PM
rnj

Most fish can adjust to pH without problems, however many plants grow much
faster in their optimal pH range. pH testing won't tell you the KH value.
Many plants require a minimal level of KH (this is the CO2 level in your
water) to grow. If you want fast, beautiful growth, it is worth trying to
change. Unless you are injecting CO2, there isn't much point to changing pH,
GH, and you'll have no control over KH. Check out the optiumal growing
conditions from some of the website vendors.

Old 22-02-2003, 10:48 PM
LeighMo

Many plants require a minimal level of KH (this is the CO2 level in your
water) to grow. If you want fast, beautiful growth, it is worth trying to
change. Unless you are injecting CO2, there isn't much point to changing pH,
GH, and you'll have no control over KH.

I think you misunderstand the relationship between KH, pH, and CO2.

KH is not the CO2 level in your tank. It's the amount of carbonate in the
tank, which isn't the same thing. And injecting CO2 does not give you control
over KH.

I do agree that plants need some KH. If your KH is zero, it's definitely worth
trying to increase it. But you don't do that with CO2. You do it with
carbonate. Baking soda, calcium carbonate, etc.

Leigh