Old 23-02-2003, 11:03 AM
LeighMo

Default Suitable fish for a planted community tank - looking for experiences

Having an entire week's experience with puffers under my belt now, I'd
hazard to say they're a bad combination with almost anything.

LOL! I could buy that.

I tried keeping two in a species tank. Eventually they even turned against
each other. I came home one day, and one had killed the other. :-(

Leigh

Old 24-02-2003, 01:29 AM
LeighMo

I'm thinking of getting some (or one?) dwarf puffers to keep by themselves in
ten gallon (to feed them snails). What kind of puffers did you have, and do
you remember/know what their sexes were?

I have no idea what kind they were, or what gender. (Yeah, I know. Let's just
say I was much younger and much less experienced during the puffer affair.)

I did try to find out what kind of puffers they were. They an inch long,
spotted, but they weren't any of the common sorts, at least as judged by their
patterns. I assumed they were brackish, and kept them in at about 50%
salinity. They only ate live foods: snails, worms, etc.

Leigh

Old 26-02-2003, 02:31 AM
Pete in the Colorado Mtns

Many many thanks for the responses -

Looks like I'll be avoiding the puffers - too bad because they're pretty
neat-looking critters.

I've got my neons in a quarantine tank for now (just got them a week or
so ago) and let them grow a bit. I've had neons in with angels before
without problems, so I'll try my luck again after I let them grow a bit.
The last neons I had died from an ich breakout and old-tank-syndrome
about a year or so ago, but they'd been living with a large angel for
years prior to that. They were bigger than the new ones I have now, tho.

I've had the one cory for about 3 years, but I guess another one or two
wouldn't hurt.

The pl*co will outgrow the 55gal eventually, but this coming summer I'm
probably going to be replacing the 55g with a 125. Should take a good
while for the pl*c to outgrow that one, hopefully.

As far as the cichlids go - aren't angels cichlids? They seem to do
well in a community tank - I've kept them for years. Are they less
agressive than other cichlids (at least the yellow cichlids I'm
wondering about)?

pete - amazed again at the wisdom in the group

Pete in the Colorado Mtns wrote:
Hi All -

I have a 55g planted tank, 80w of 6500K light, no CO2 (not yet at least
altho I keep drooling over the systems I see out there :-) It's a
community tank with Otos (6), Angels (4), 4" gold gourami, 9 small
neons, 3 serpae tetras, 1 white-skirt, 1 5" pl*co & 1 cory. I've seen
some fish in the lfs that caught my fancy, and am wondering if folks
here have had any experiences with these that they could share. I want
to continue the community tank, and with fish that won't eat the plants.

Here are the fish:

Electric Yellow Labidochromus (grows to 4" I believe)
Bumble Bee african cichlid (up to 4")
Dwarf puffer
Gold Mickey Mouse platy (and the red version too)
Lemon tetra
Gold Pristella
Decta Sunrise Tequila Guppy (really neat looking fish - never seen one
before the lfs visit.

Any experiences/knowledge would be greatly appreciated!
--
pete in colorado

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut be refusing to eat it."

pete

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut be refusing to eat it."