Old 23-05-2003, 09:44 AM
-=Almazick=-

Default Algae Destroyer Liquid

Would you add just a little bit to your planted tank to keep your algae in
control. The last time when I added the recommended dosage, it killed all
my algae with my live plants. Now I'm thinking just to add 1/10 dosage but
would it hurt my live plants?

Old 23-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Harry Muscle

"-=Almazick=-" wrote in message
.net...
Would you add just a little bit to your planted tank to keep your algae in
control. The last time when I added the recommended dosage, it killed all
my algae with my live plants. Now I'm thinking just to add 1/10 dosage

but
would it hurt my live plants?

Chances are it would hurt your plants 1/10th as much as it did before, but
likewise also get rid of 1/10th the algea it did before. The best way to
deal with algea is to control the nutrients and lighting needed for the
plants to outcompete the algea, but I'll let others give you more detail on
how to do that, since I'm just starting out in the plant realm.

Harry

Old 24-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Joe Ferenchik

On Fri, 23 May 2003 07:47:49 GMT, "-=Almazick=-"
wrote:

Would you add just a little bit to your planted tank to keep your algae in
control. The last time when I added the recommended dosage, it killed all
my algae with my live plants. Now I'm thinking just to add 1/10 dosage but
would it hurt my live plants?

Although the best remedy is to find and rectify the imbalance that is
causing your algae outbreak, there is an algae remover that is less
destructive to your plants. It's called Algae Fix. I've used it on
occasion and I'm happy with it's results. You'll notice what appears
as a green water bloom as this stuff works and kills the algae. As
with most of these chemicals, they're a nono for inverts.
Here's a link...

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/aqalgae.html

click on Algaefix.

hth

Old 24-05-2003, 03:08 PM

"-=Almazick=-" wrote in message t.net...
Would you add just a little bit to your planted tank to keep your algae in
control. The last time when I added the recommended dosage, it killed all
my algae with my live plants. Now I'm thinking just to add 1/10 dosage but
would it hurt my live plants?

Does this product grow plants? Is it a nutrient? If not, don't use it.
If you want to grow plants, which I'd assume is your goal, focus on
growing the plants rather than killing algae.

Algicides are a fruitless path for the aquatic gardener in the long
run and in the short run. They are not needed in a planted tank nor
ever were.
A new one comes along about every 2-3 years, some claim plants are not
affected. But is it a plant nutrient?

Algae forms when the plants don't grow well. So by growing the plants
well you will reduce/eliminate algae. Typically a nutrient runs out
after the plants do well for awhile, then they stunt/stop growing and
the algae takes over.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 26-05-2003, 01:32 AM
RifRaf

Algae forms when the plants don't grow well. So by growing the plants
well you will reduce/eliminate algae. Typically a nutrient runs out
after the plants do well for awhile, then they stunt/stop growing and
the algae takes over.

/rant on
Which sounds EXACTLY where I'm at right now!!!
I'm tired of DIY CO2....so, I'm looking at CO2 cylinders.
I'm tired of rapid water chemistry changes....so I'm going to double
my tank size.
Going to use Flourite next time. Going to increase lighting power
with the new tank too.

I'm getting SO fed up with this algae!

On a side note, I started adding KNO3 after finding that it was 0ppm.
I got it up to 10ppm over a 4 day period and stopped adding.

The tank started getting VERY green. Re-measured. ~30ppm and 2 dead
Ottos!!!

Man....I had NO idea what I was in for when starting this *hobby*. I
feel like a backyard chemist.
/rant off

Chris