GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plants and yabbies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/2839-plants-yabbies.html)

vwboy53 23-02-2003 08:14 AM

plants and yabbies

I have a tank, with yabbies (two large ones) and I am wondering if anyone
knows if their are plants which I could put in my tank, which the yabbies
wont eat? (They eat every plant I have had, including plastic! lol silly
yabbies).
Can anyone help me or am I doomed?
vwboy53
- sucessful breeder of 54 baby yabbies!!!

LeighMo 23-02-2003 11:09 AM

plants and yabbies

I have a tank, with yabbies (two large ones) and I am wondering if anyone
knows if their are plants which I could put in my tank, which the yabbies
wont eat?

Let's see, if I recall "The Crocodile Hunter" correctly, a yabby is an
overgrown crayfish. They get so big, I don't know if any plants are safe.

You might try Anubias. They do well in low light, and have tough, bitter
leaves that herbivores often avoid. They're the only plants that my friend's
8" goldfish won't touch.

Leigh

zxcvbob 23-02-2003 08:07 PM

plants and yabbies

vwboy53 wrote:

I have a tank, with yabbies (two large ones) and I am wondering if anyone
knows if their are plants which I could put in my tank, which the yabbies
wont eat? (They eat every plant I have had, including plastic! lol silly
yabbies).
Can anyone help me or am I doomed?
vwboy53
- sucessful breeder of 54 baby yabbies!!!

I don't even know what yabbies are, but I have successfully grown
"Jungle Val" and java ferns in a tank of goldfish. The val is tougher
than plastic, and the java fern must taste bad or something.

Sword plants *might* be OK, I've grown them with goldfish too, but the
gf will pull up small sword plants.

Best regards,
Bob

ROBERT IVCEC 27-02-2003 10:39 AM

plants and yabbies

Does anyone know of any other plants yabbies wont eat?
oh also thanks LeighMo for the advise, ill try to find that variety.