Old 28-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Ken

Default 3WPG, injected CO2, small tank plant selection

(Erik Leung) wrote in message . com...
The last series of photos are of Hemianthus micranthemoides...umbrosum
has a rounder leaf shape, for example

http://www.sfbaaps.com/gallery/barr/barr_02_06.jpg

Cheers,

Erik Leung
e-aquaria.com

Dave Millman wrote in message ...
Ken wrote:

I've been looking at some Glossostigma elatinoides, the LFS called it
"Babies Tears". Looks nice, but how is it difficult?

Ken,

Nomenclature issue. This is Glossostigma:

http://www.eeb.uconn.edu/Courses/eeb...S/GLOSSOST.JPG

http://solecism.jp-biz.net/plants/Gl...ma/glosso1.jpg

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/glossostigma.html

What most people out here call "baby tears" is Micranthemum umbrosum:

http://www.cyberway.com.sg/~animator/MM.jpg

http://www.plantedtank.net/images/mi...rmumplants.jpg

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/Micranthemum.html

Glosso is a popular foreground/lawn plant, especially in Amano-inspired tanks.
Micranthemum is a rapidly growing stem plant that can also be trained to grow along the
substrate. But they are quite different from each other.

I'm not exactly sure which I saw at the LFS, but I'm leaning towards
the Glosso. It's got a nice clover quality to it. But, the question
is; will my Pleco eat/uproot it?

Ken

Old 01-03-2003, 12:29 AM
LeighMo

I'm not exactly sure which I saw at the LFS, but I'm leaning towards
the Glosso. It's got a nice clover quality to it. But, the question
is; will my Pleco eat/uproot it?

Plecos won't eat it. And they probably won't uproot it, at least once it gets
established.

The key to planting glosso is to cut it into small pieces, and plant each one
individually. As long as each piece has one pair of leaves and some little
roots, it will be fine. (If there aren't enough roots, let the glosso stems
float until there are roots at almost every node, then cut them into pieces and
plant.)

Glosso does best with a lot of light and CO2, though. It's not a plant for a
low-light tank.

Leigh