Old 24-02-2003, 02:57 AM
Bob A

Default two: green algae spots/amazon sword

I have my plants from Phyl in, and my aquarium is beautiful! I will post
some pics sometime.

I have a couple of problems though. My pleco jumped out of the tank a while
back, and ever since I have had a problem with green spot algae. I think
the reason is that there is an uncovered window a few feet to the west. I
plan on getting it covered tomorrow. Meanwhile, I have been scraping and
cleaning it off. Now that I have the plants, that has gotten more
difficult, and I don't want it on my plants.

I have an oto with more on the way. I originally put in some TMG but have
stopped for a while. I have replaced the 40W with 110W when I planted the
tank. What I would like to know is this: I do about a 33% water change
once a week... would changing that much daily or every other day help get
rid of the green spot algae?

Question two is about a huge Amazon Sword I have had for quite a while.
Most of the leaves now have black spots and also some type of blackish
algae. I have clipped the worst leaves. Should I just go ahead and clip
all but the new leaves which look ok? There are about 4-5 1"-4" new leaves.
I hate to decimate this plant, but I think that's the best idea?

thanks everyone,

bob allred
north carolina

Old 24-02-2003, 03:22 AM
LeighMo

What I would like to know is this: I do about a 33% water change
once a week... would changing that much daily or every other day help get
rid of the green spot algae?

Probably not. Green spot algae is one of those algaes that appears even
well-balanced tanks. Comes with the brighter lighting. It may be less of a
problem once your plants are growing well, and once you have a few more
algae-eaters in the tank. (BTW, snails are great for keeping algae off
leaves.)

Question two is about a huge Amazon Sword I have had for quite a while.
Most of the leaves now have black spots and also some type of blackish
algae. I have clipped the worst leaves. Should I just go ahead and clip
all but the new leaves which look ok? There are about 4-5 1"-4" new leaves.
I hate to decimate this plant, but I think that's the best idea?

I'd remove the old leaves gradually, so as not to shock the plant.

Leigh

Old 24-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Bob A

Default green algae spots/amazon sword

OE crashed while I was replying to Leigh's post.

Just to say thanks, I won't worry so much about massive water changes then.
I need to get that window covered though.

On the Sword, I guess I inadvertantly have been doing the right thing by
removing 3-4 leaves a day.

thanks Leigh,

bob

Old 24-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Dave Millman

Bob A wrote:

Just to say thanks, I won't worry so much about massive water changes then.
I need to get that window covered though.

Consider a bristlenose pleco, who will help with that algae (but not eliminate
it). Consider also covering the side of the tank instead of the window. I use
those aquarium backgrounds from the fish store-they usually have plain black
and gradient blue that look pretty good. On my tank near the window, the
background is wrapped around all three sides for uniformity, leaving the front
open and glare free.

Old 25-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Bob A

Dave, I live in a very rural area, so not much choice when selecting fish.
I have already tried to get a bristlenose from the LFS, but they currently
can't order one. I have several otos on order.

Covering the side of the tank is an idea I didn't think of, and will do it
right away. Thanks!

bob