Old 24-02-2003, 04:34 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default some plants don't like water movement?

I have a small 15 gallon wide tank and an aquaclear filter on the back. I
had kept a spot empty where the water falls out of the filter assuming that
some plants don't like heavy water movement. Is this true?

I've recently had to trim the hygros again and planted some on the corner of
the aquarium and needed more room: so I moved the ludwiga to the center
where the water flows down into it. I figured that the ludgwiga has pretty
stiff stems and thicker leaves than the hygros thus less susceptible to
problems with water movement.

thanx

Dave.

Old 24-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Dave Millman

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

I have a small 15 gallon wide tank and an aquaclear filter on the back. I
had kept a spot empty where the water falls out of the filter assuming that
some plants don't like heavy water movement. Is this true?

An aquaclear has a spill-over return, right? So the current is pretty mild. It's
just a matter of how much movement you want, or how much bending with stiffer
stems. I prefer no movement or bending, but the choice is yours.

In the case of power heads or cannister returns, the current can be significant,
and can rip some plants right out of the gravel! In that case, it's probably
more a matter of practicality than personal choice.

Old 25-02-2003, 07:57 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Yes the aquaclear is a spill over and the edit "trough" is nearly touching
the water to create less surface turbulance for C02...it's a mild current
but enough to push the ludwigia stems a few inches down. It will in no way
rip anything out of the gravel though.

Dave.