GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   acrylic Tanks? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/2849-acrylic-tanks.html)

Dustin 24-02-2003 08:39 AM

acrylic Tanks?

Where is the best place to custom order an Acrylic Tank? Guessing Acrylic
is the best way to go on large tanks 200+gal?

Thanks!

Dustin

Christopher 24-02-2003 08:28 PM

acrylic Tanks?

pretty much the only way to go once the tanks get that big...glass tanks in
the 150+ gallon range are hundreds of pounds...empty

I don't know if you can custom order fish tanks though, I wouldn't think UPS
would send such a large and delicate shipment as a 6' long tank

350X_Rider 24-02-2003 10:00 PM

acrylic Tanks?

Where is the best place to custom order an Acrylic Tank? Guessing Acrylic
is the best way to go on large tanks 200+gal?

When a friend researched putting a 200+ tank in his house, he had to
contract with a builder, for codes, foundation checking, load balancing,
structural integrity and other issues...

He found that some/alot of contractors know people who "custom install"
acrylic tanks per the blue prints from the owners...

You might find one such builder/contractor in your area... They can build,
install, plumb, run your wires, whatever you need.... but yep, did cost him
nearly $3k for a 285gallon tank in his living room... and in his kitchen and
in his den... it's a 3 sided tank. it's something like 8feet long, 3feet
tall, 4feet wide

LeighMo 24-02-2003 10:56 PM

acrylic Tanks?

I don't know if you can custom order fish tanks though, I wouldn't think UPS
would send such a large and delicate shipment as a 6' long tank

Yes, you can custom order fishtanks...much bigger than 6'. They usually have
their own delivery service. (That's how fishtanks get to the LFS, too.)

See http://www.westcoastaquarium.com/

If I ever win the lottery, I'm getting an aquarium from them. :-)

Leigh

Dustin 25-02-2003 02:10 AM

acrylic Tanks?

Sounds nice to me :)

In this county, we are not zoned nor do we need contractors :)

Also, I like to do it myself, makes me appreciate it more :)

I wonder if its cheaper to have someone do it though?

Anyone have a HUGE tank?
Pics?

Thanks

Dustin

WD 25-02-2003 02:26 AM

acrylic Tanks?

"Dustin" wrote in message

In this county, we are not zoned nor do we need contractors :)

I would rethink that. The need for the contractor has little to do with the
law. The concern is that a 300 gallon tank (for example) will weigh in
excess of 3000 pounds (US). (water weighs over 8 pounds (US) per gallon,
plus filters, substrate, decor) Most frame houses cannot support this kind
of weight. If you put in a tank of that size in your home without consulting
professional advice, you're going to have a disaster. Dead fish, broken
tank, broken house, impromptu swimming pool. I guarantee it. The cost of
repairing the damage will be much more than hiring someone who knows what
they're doing.

LeighMo 25-02-2003 04:35 AM

acrylic Tanks?

I would rethink that. The need for the contractor has little to do with the
law. The concern is that a 300 gallon tank (for example) will weigh in
excess of 3000 pounds (US). (water weighs over 8 pounds (US) per gallon,
plus filters, substrate, decor) Most frame houses cannot support this kind
of weight. If you put in a tank of that size in your home without consulting
professional advice, you're going to have a disaster.

Agreed. In fact, I would probably consult an expert for any tank over 125
gallons. At the very least, you'll want to place it against a load-bearing
wall (preferably in a corner), and across the joists, not along them.

Even if your house is on a concrete slab, there are limits. Every once in
awhile you hear about someone who thought they didn't have to worry about
weight because their house was on a slab. They put in a huge tank, and
everything's fine...until the slab starts to sink. Repairing that kind of
damage costs thousands.

Leigh

Christopher 25-02-2003 04:53 AM

acrylic Tanks?

$3k for a custom setup sounds mighty reasonable to me, I'm up to $2700 on my
125g... (but that includes fish and food and such)